At what temperature do you stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't stop. But then I did crash on Saturday due to ice!
Ouch ! hope your ok , 2 of my club mates did the same the other week.
I commute all year round, its only really snow and really bad ice that stops me( or the wife ), Done its in around - 12 on a road bike which was interesting.

Teuchter

Über Member
Another vote for "when there becomes too much of a risk of ice". Was just below zero when I left this morning but it was dry and I had a nice ride.

I've had quite a few offs in previous years thanks to ice, even on roads I thought would have been busy enough to be relatively clear. Cycle tracks are completely out of the question and I'm looking at alternative routes which follow bus routes in the hope they may actually be gritted.

VamP

Banned
I used to go out all temperatures in Czech Republic. It actually gets less slippy once you're some way below freezing. Of course, if there was snow, the XC skis would come out instead. Just as good a workout as cycling and more fun :boxing:

In the UK, well I still go out all temperatures, but if it's icy I'll take the MTB. Probably. A bit of ice would be a huge improvement over the bottomless gloop we seem to have everywhere right now.

When I need to put full length gloves on which is usually below the temp when this starts to occur: Thirsty ride that one :smile:.
IMG_0437.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Was out this morning (this is my weekend) and had to abandon because of ice on all routes apart from the main roads. Which is a pity as the sun was out and no wind. Coming off on ice cost me dearly 2 years ago - 3 weeks off work (unpaid) with cracked ribs; then last year a hip injury after landing on it when the front wheel slid away on ice. Hip injury is still not 100%. So my bikes will probably be wrapped in cotton wool until March. If it's not wet and windy at this time of year, then it's icy. The joys of living in the west of Scotland.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It was frosty out here tonight. I had my long Johns on under my tights, a balaclava under my helmet, and wool gloves under my cycle gloves. I kept to the main salted roads so they felt ok, but i'm always wary of the unexpected!

Top Bottom