ATC2000 positioning question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldredeyes

I'm hoping that Santa will be bringing me a helmet cam next week. One quick question to those of you who have one already: is yours on the top of the helmet or on the side?

I know a few safety queries have been raised about cameras on helmets in the event of a fall but I'd rather have the camera on the helmet than the handlebars.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Tynan

Veteran
I'd have thought a camera on your helmet was a rather small factor in a fall, there's an awful lot more bad things out there waiting to be a factor

can't help with the actual question other than pointing that for the full borg effect it needs to be side of head

oldredeyes said:
I'm hoping that Santa will be bringing me a helmet cam next week. One quick question to those of you who have one already: is yours on the top of the helmet or on the side?

I know a few safety queries have been raised about cameras on helmets in the event of a fall but I'd rather have the camera on the helmet than the handlebars.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Hi and welcome!

I have passed my helmet camera on, but I used to wear it on the side of my helmet, but I know of others who wear it on the top. The ATC2000 has a fairly narrow field of view so it take a bit of practice to aim it right so that it isn't pointing at the sky or the road! You also need to be sure that there is not too much sky in the picture (when it is bright) as this will cause the camera to dim the input reducing what you can see at ground level.

Yes there is probably a safety issue wearing a camera on your helmet (the ATC does protrude a fair amount). However, it is visible and drivers do drive more carefully when the see it. So in my opinion I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I use mine on top, although this has been easier since I changed helmets, the old one didn't really have a flat enough top bit.

I don't know that it would make that much difference in an accident... Some extra twisting of the head maybe...

Tynan

Veteran
magnatom said:
That was my old camera which I raffled on here for charity a while back (probably before you joined). I've had a new one since August.

Check out this thread http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5009

There will be plenty more videos from me in the new year I'm sure!! :biggrin::biggrin:

who could possibly doubt that, I don;t think you have a job or even a home magna, I think you just prowl the streets with a live uplink streaming video to some data centre etc etc

Top Bottom