Athletics World Championships 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’m glued to the Heptathlon right now, Katarina Johnson Thompson looks in top form and favourite I think now for the gold medal.:thumbsup:

Yep, hope KJT can hold it together. She's been performing out of her skin these last two days - PBs in hurdles, shot and javelin. Thiam looks rattled...

Edited to add that it looks like Thiam is not going to take her 3rd throw in the javelin.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
What's the significance of the coloured name plates the athletes wear? I worked out that the current and defending champion has a red name plate but what do the yellow, blue and green ones I've noticed signify, anyone know? European champion, Olympic champion, something else?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
He's a bit of a dick in general.
But he does have a point; trying to expand global athletics' footprint beyond the traditional venues is a good thing. I would also comment that the event organisers being forced into putting the best events on at 11pm in Doha by the television companies meant that half full stadiums were inevitable. I wonder what a British stadium would be like at that time of night?

I would also comment that the event organisers being forced into putting the best events on at 11pm in Doha by the television companies meant that half full stadiums were inevitable. I wonder what a British stadium would be like at that time of night?

No - the timing of the events were down to the weather conditions, even allowing for the air conditioned stadium. Doha is only two hours ahead of UK time.

Same problems will apply to the footy World Cup in 2022.

It's all very well taking sports to "new" countries in order to expand the fanbase, but that puts the athletes at serious risk. The marathons and walks were held in the wee hours of the morning Qatar time, and it was still absolute carnage, especially in the women's marathons and both 50k walks.

Top Bottom