Attacks on cyclists around Dunkirk / Dunkerque ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm interested in this too, as I'm going over there next weekend, and I'm intending to get the ferry from Dover at 2am, arriving in Dunkirk at 5am local time, probably meaning I'd end up disembarking about 5.45am as I have to wait for everyone else to get off first.

I had no intention of hanging about there, and was looking at going over the border into Belgium as soon as possible, via D79 and D60 (Leffrinckoucke/Zuydcoote/Bray-Dunes). It'll be in the dark as the sun doesn't rise till about 7.30 local time (starts getting light about half an hour before), by which time I'm planning to have been well fed somewhere in Veurne.

Can anyone see any potential banana skins here?

To be honest, the thing I was most concerned about was getting the train from Bromley South to Dover Priory between 10pm and midnight on a Friday...

Simon_m

Guru
Is the jungle still in Calais? will be cycling passed it next summer. Driven around Calais a fair few times for the ferry and train, seen some crazy shoot and the area does worry me for next year.

Dec66

Is the jungle still in Calais? will be cycling passed it next summer. Driven around Calais a fair few times for the ferry and train, seen some crazy shoot and the area does worry me for next year.
I went to Bethune from Calais two years ago; went from the ferry port to the town, and out again on D943.

No sign of any camps, and no trouble (unless you count my being mildly admonished by a local in Calais as I went over a crossing while he was about to use it; mea culpa, it was on a bend and I misjudged it).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm interested in this too, as I'm going over there next weekend, and I'm intending to get the ferry from Dover at 2am, arriving in Dunkirk at 5am local time, probably meaning I'd end up disembarking about 5.45am as I have to wait for everyone else to get off first.
Bikes off first both times I've been through.

I had no intention of hanging about there, and was looking at going over the border into Belgium as soon as possible, via D79 and D60 (Leffrinckoucke/Zuydcoote/Bray-Dunes). It'll be in the dark as the sun doesn't rise till about 7.30 local time (starts getting light about half an hour before), by which time I'm planning to have been well fed somewhere in Veurne.

Only that D79 starts at Dunkirk's pleasure port which is not the ferry port about 15km west of it.

The D601/D940/D601 route is probably faster. The cycleway alongside the D601 then the canal then the railway from Petit-Synthe to Bray-Dunes is probably nicer. It's difficult to see a reason to use the D79 now unless you want to ride the ropey bit of the dune route (not a patch on the one from the Hook of Holland) and past the refineries, or cross the town from the station to go past the Operation Dynamo museum.

Julia9054

Guru

To be honest, the thing I was most concerned about was getting the train from Bromley South to Dover Priory between 10pm and midnight on a Friday...
The signage for cycles is awful. We got hopelessly lost both exiting the ferry port and trying not to end up on the motorway and trying to plot a sensible route on the way back.
Don't just hope for the best like we did - plan your route beforehand!

mjr

The signage for cycles is awful. We got hopelessly lost both exiting the ferry port and trying not to end up on the motorway and trying to plot a sensible route on the way back.
Don't just hope for the best like we did - plan your route beforehand!
Yes, the signs between the port and Loon-Plage are variously misleading and missing. On the east edge of Loon-Plage, little green bike route signs start to point the way to Dunkerque. (Green for bikes makes so much more sense than motorway blue!)

The best-guess route link was already posted on page 1 but it's https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/d...lle-cycle-suggestions-pls.242784/post-5454206

Dec66

The D601/D940/D601 route is probably faster. The cycleway alongside the D601 then the canal then the railway from Petit-Synthe to Bray-Dunes is probably nicer. It's difficult to see a reason to use the D79 now unless you want to ride the ropey bit of the dune route (not a patch on the one from the Hook of Holland) and past the refineries, or cross the town from the station to go past the Operation Dynamo museum.

Cheers... Looking at the map, you're dead right.

So much so that I'm now looking at D301 to Bourbourg, D2 to Brouckerque, D17/D17A/D3 to Bergues and Hondschoote, and cross over there.

Christ, if I'm going to fit in Veurne, Westveleteren and Ypres before heading down to Bethune (where I'm staying), I've got some pedalling to do. Luckily I won't be short of time

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Cheers... Looking at the map, you're dead right.

So much so that I'm now looking at D301 to Bourbourg, D2 to Brouckerque, D17/D17A/D3 to Bergues and Hondschoote, and cross over there.

Christ, if I'm going to fit in Veurne, Westveleteren and Ypres before heading down to Bethune (where I'm staying), I've got some pedalling to do. Luckily I won't be short of time
Just watch the forecast for headwind! If there is much, taking the cycleways through Dunkerque and the small towns will be worth it to hide among buildings some of the time.

If heading for Brouckerque, I'd go through Loon-Plage and join the D17 at Craywick because getting to the D301 means using the White House Road motorway feeder or taking a detour. Is there something interesting in Bourbourg?

I've ridden the D17 which was fine and seen some of the D3 from the other bank of the canal and it looked innocuous - a simple French D road with no bike lanes. I was coming from the D52 and D17 through Wormhout (with a detour to the memorial) after using the Houtkerque border crossing from Poperinge and Ypres.

Dec66

@mjr

From DFDS website: turns out we are both correct :smile:

Boarding and disembarking
It’s easy and very quick to take your bike onboard our ferries with dedicated cyclist lanes in the Dover port, although for convenience and safety there are a few things cyclists need to know.

Follow the red cyclist line in Dover, this takes you past the queuing vehicles and fast tracks you to your own check in. Cyclists are loaded together in one large group, and will be either first or last to board depending on how many passengers and vehicles are boarding and what time you arrive. The ship’s officer will instruct you how to disembark down the ramp when it is safe to do so and when there is no other traffic. When boarding and disembarking, you should walk with your bike.

mjr

From DFDS website: turns out we are both correct :smile:
Maybe I've gotten there earlier than you, so first on and so first off ;)

However, this bit of their website is clearly wrong:
Follow the red cyclist line in Dover, this takes you past the queuing vehicles and fast tracks you to your own check in.
It's not "your own check in" but the freight check-in building currently visible behind the red truck https://showmystreet.com/#ufuwp_soib_14.s_1h43

Oh and in case anyone doesn't know:
When boarding and disembarking, you should walk with your bike.
That only applies to the very ridged metal ramp attached to the ship, unless you're told otherwise (due to ice or spills).

Dec66

Maybe I've gotten there earlier than you, so first on and so first off ;)

However, this bit of their website is clearly wrong:

It's not "your own check in" but the freight check-in building currently visible behind the red truck https://showmystreet.com/#ufuwp_soib_14.s_1h43

Oh and in case anyone doesn't know:

That only applies to the very ridged metal ramp attached to the ship, unless you're told otherwise (due to ice or spills).
I rode up and down the ramp there and back^_^

Dec66

Then you've a higher tolerance for riding over metal ridges than me, or a better aim at the gutters!
Actually, thinking on, going back from Calais they did tell to dismount for one bit, which may have been guttering.

A daft question, but I'm presuming the Route Des Dunes is unlit? Bearing in mind I'll be on it probably around 5.30am local, it looks like it could be very dark indeed (though at least there'll be noone about).

Incidentally, I came across this last night, and it features many of the places I'll be visiting this time around.

View: https://youtu.be/zeb4K9KKEc8

Top Bottom