Attatching rear light to rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
I was thinking of buying a basic set of lights for my bike but my new (expedition) rack doesn't have a plate to mount a rear light like my old one had, and as I use a rack bag so can't use it on the seat post, any suggestions as to how I go about using a light, like this smart one for example?

I used to use the smaller diameter, seat stay bracket to mount to the rack or i'd just simply clip it on to the bag. I've since upgraded to the smart superflash, it was cheap and does a great job.

Wiggle were doing it for £8 but its sold out :angry: its £12 from Chain Reaction.

Get a rubber doorstop, drill a hole through the centre slightly under the rack frame diameter, make a cut half way through and slip it over the rack...a bit of double sided etc to keep it in place might help. Undo the clamp and place it around the rubber 'stop' and tighten.
Just need to sort out whether the rubber bit goes on the vertical or horizontal - I didn't work that bit out...

OP
OP
soulful dog

soulful dog

Veteran
Ta for the links (too many options though Yorkshireman it just confused me more :tongue:). I think something like the smart superflash that will clip to the bag is probably the simplest option... the doorstop sounds like a novel solution though!

andrew_s said:
The J-82s in particular.

It will fit either at the top of one of the rear rack legs, or possibly at the side of the double thickness rear end. Use the bolt to attach the clip half of the Smart mount to it.

Or even the Zefal which looks very similar, but is half the price :rolleyes:

OP
OP
soulful dog

soulful dog

Veteran
Cheers again, I've now got my lights (though ended up with a cat eye instead of smart rear light due to the edinburgh bike co-op sale winning out over wiggle). I think it'll be fine to just clip it onto my rack bag, but if not, I've bookmarked those links (the cheaper zefal one of course!). Ta much for all the suggestions.

OP
OP
soulful dog

soulful dog

Veteran
There was a seat stay bracket like that with the light but I thought it looked as if it'd be too big for the rack. However, after reading your post I tried it, and although it was a bit too big, a bit of experimentation with a thick rubber band wrapped round the rack and the seat stay bracket over the top of it, and voila, that's it sorted. Looks as if it will work a treat too!

Once again, ta much for the suggestions. Let the dark nights roll in as I'm now prepared ;)

Top Bottom