Attempting to go car-free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Yesterday I scrapped my car. I had it for two years before it dissolved and had to be scrapped. Previous to this I managed to avoid owning my own car for many years. I could borrow a neighbour's van if I had to get somewhere and used my wife's car in the evenings and weekends if I needed to.

Since yesterday I have wasted all my time looking for a new car. At some point this morning I snapped. I realised that excluding the cost of actually buying a car it costs me around £200 a month in tax, insurance, fuel etc. £200 a month for something I really couldn't give a toss about. The car I was about to buy was a Mondeo worth £500. The cheapest insurance quote I got was just under £900. The most expensive was a hilarious £4,342, third party, for a car worth £500! I have had a clean licence for 23 years and over ten years of no claims bonus.

So I'm trying to break down the need for my own car into problems with manageable solutions.

The first problem is the school run. The school is two miles away so isn't easily walkable with a five year old. This problem can be fixed by buying a cargo bike. I've got a £500 budget. What excites me is that if I spend £500 on a cargo bike it won't cost me £200 a month after that!

The next problem is family holidays. My wife is a gardener so owns a wee van. The van only has two seats. But the cost of hiring a car for holidays is surprisingly reasonable.

I'm a musician so it's useful to be able to get about. But I still have the neighbour's van I can use most evenings and weekends.

We're treating this as an experiment. I'm not saying I'll never own another car, but I'm going to try and do without one for a while.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good luck feller. Once my shoulder is fixed I'll be following suit.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think as well some insurers reckon you'll take less care in an old knacker. In actual fact, I take great care of my old knacker, because replacing it would cost me more money, but I'm not in the business of inventing imaginary risk as an excuse to make money.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've just this minute went car free. My dirty diesel broke down again(read died horribly) and I'm not really in the financial position to buy another car (still paying for the last time it broke down :sad: ) So off to the scrapman it goes.

I'm a named driver on two other cars I have use of so I'm going to enjoy the spare cash for a while and cycle-commute more

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I agree with everything you have said. But I still have to pick this out, as it is a bugbear of mine.

Just because your car is only worth £500, it doesn't mean it will be only do £500 worth of damage to a person or other property.

I know. But the car before was worth about the same amount and the insurance was £500 a year. I don't get what has changed.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've just this minute went car free. My dirty diesel broke down again(read died horribly) and I'm not really in the financial position to buy another car (still paying for the last time it broke down :sad: ) So off to the scrapman it goes.

I'm a named driver on two other cars I have use of so I'm going to enjoy the spare cash for a while and cycle-commute more

Oh dear!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And you didn't even have to factor in the cost of all the time choosing and obtaining a new car, then the time lost keeping it roadworthy (including mechanically and regulations)!

Please keep posting updates on how it goes, those of you blazing this trail...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know. But the car before was worth about the same amount and the insurance was £500 a year. I don't get what has changed.
You just let it dissolve and it could have hit someone as it fell apart? ;)

I'm pretty much car free. If I really need a car for anything, I can hire one. I really was spelunking a shed load of cash, for something I rarely used. I've not come across a situation where I couldn't either ride, or ride + train, for longer haul stuff, and I can always hire a car for days where I need to load lug.

subaqua

What’s the point
Sooo close to doing it too. The big problem is the summer Hols . A 18 day hire is still more than I pay for VED insurance , servicing and running on my one . Not yet doable sadly .

Top Bottom