Attempting to shift responsibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thing is, anyone dumb enough to do that is unlikely to be the sort of person to read warning notices anyway.

Ta - a tranny van, flatbed etc. In slow moving traffic, when there's no upcoming junction, I'd probably pass. Usually on the outside but I wouldn't discount the idea of filtering up the inside.

Norm

But no more so than my car, with the kids in the back and the dog in the boot?
But then I wouldn't go up the inside of an estate I couldn't see through either as they are just as unsighted as a goods vehicle but, most likely without the driver awareness.

dawesome

My 1st thought was "no real nearside blindspot", a poor attempt to shift the blame incase of any incident - "they shouldn't have been passing - I've got a big sign"

It's a get-out-of-jail card. If a cyclist is injured on the near-side of the door, all the driver has to do is blame the cyclist and nothing happens.I treat vehicles with those signs even more carefully, they've already gone to the trouble of getting an alibi ready. I just had a white Audi deliberately swerve at me coming the OTHER way, he jerked his wheel over. Lots of drivers hate cyclists, I imagine they'd be keen on signs like that. They have signs for speeding on my commute too. More safety on the roads! They're busy signs, they flash the numerals "30". I see them both flash every day, going and coming home. Tremendously busy little signs working away all day, flashing, making things safer on the roads.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh

classic33 said:
But what would he be doing on the motorway in/on one. They're not that fast.​

Oh yes they are!

IIRC the record for a souped up C5 is almost 100 mph!

One modified one reached 150 mph. Checked because I thought it was only 120 mph. But how many of them were capable of that. Remember the electric assit regulations classed it as a battery assisted trike

The PMO And I were infamous at Culdrose, he used to ride a C5 and I had a Peter Ross Trice!

We used to arrive for exercises, meetings and even the occasional callout on them.

It's a get-out-of-jail card. If a cyclist is injured on the near-side of the door, all the driver has to do is blame the cyclist and nothing happens. I treat vehicles with those signs even more carefully, they've already gone to the trouble of getting an alibi ready. I just had a white Audi deliberately swerve at me coming the OTHER way, he jerked his wheel over. Lots of drivers hate cyclists, I imagine they'd be keen on signs like that. They have signs for speeding on my commute too. More safety on the roads! They're busy signs, they flash the numerals "30". I see them both flash every day, going and coming home. Tremendously busy little signs working away all day, flashing, making things safer on the roads.

1. I'm not sure it would work as a 'get out of jail' card. It may be that a filtering cyclist is found to be at fault in a collision, but I do not believe a sticker on the rear of the other vehicle would sway our judiciary.

2. I really don't think those signs are there as a sort of at-the-ready alibi. There are vehicles I think twice about filtering inside and vehicles I think three times about. I do ride with extra caution around some vehicle types, but not because they've put a sticker on their rear panel. Why would one suddenly become suspicious of the motives of a driver displaying that sign?

3. Do drivers really hate cyclists? In forty years of riding in several countries, no-one has taken a swing at me with their vehicle.

If one really believed that lots of drivers hate cyclists (as suggested above) enough to swerve at them on the highway, I think it might be time to stop riding and leave it to those of us who love the roads and get on with other road users.

Neither as a driver nor as a cyclist, have I ever felt that another road user might hate me or wish me ill. As a former motorcycle courier, you'd imagine I'd have picked up at least a little of the hate that was out there. :smile:

The key words are flat bed wagon, a lot of the time that bed will be full obscuring their rear vision.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The key words are flat bed wagon, a lot of the time that bed will be full obscuring their rear vision.
So you shouldn't filter past any vehicle with a full boot, car based vans etc?......
I drove Luton vans for a living, delivering furniture. You know you can't see out of the back - you use your mirrors and turn your head.
Wagons are dangerous because of the blind spots
Vans nowhere near the danger, so long as the drivers aware to keep check - which goes for any vehicle.

gavintc

Guru
My 1st thought was "no real nearside blindspot", a poor attempt to shift the blame incase of any incident - "they shouldn't have been passing - I've got a big sign"

Trucks are not always empty!!. Put a load on the flat bed and the visibility is reduced.

So you shouldn't filter past any vehicle with a full boot, car based vans etc?......
On the left at traffic lights, no.

I drove Luton vans for a living, delivering furniture. You know you can't see out of the back - you use your mirrors and turn your head.
Wagons are dangerous because of the blind spots
Vans nowhere near the danger, so long as the drivers aware to keep check - which goes for any vehicle.

I drive a lwb transit for what it is worth, but I refer you to my bold in your last sentence and stand by my first quote on this basis:rolleyes:

boydj

Legendary Member
There are a lot of inexperienced cyclists about now. Only this morning I watched a cyclist go down the outside of a queue of traffic in a right-turn only lane, nearly come to grief at one point where there was hardly any room between cars and kerb, and then end up on the wrong side of the cars at the junction. Then at the next junction, the same guy tried to go down the left side of traffic as it started to move, with some of the vehicles turning left.

I reckon we need more trucks and buses to carry these messages and maybe keep some of these unwary cyclists out of trouble.

Top Bottom