Attempting to shift responsibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
On the left at traffic lights, no............I drive a lwb transit for what it is worth, but I refer you to my bold in your last sentence and stand by my first quote on this basis:rolleyes:

Never mentioned lights?
In fact I believe the only thing I said was "In slow moving traffic, when there's no upcoming junction"

Also depends on your local knowledge.

On my commute there is a cycle path inside the left on a busy road leading to a traffic light controlled junction. Moving on the inside to the ASL is a matter of choice.

If traffic is moving from the right hand side of the carriageway - I have about a minute and a half
If traffic is moving from road joining form the left - I have about 40 seconds
If traffic is moving from the small slip road running parallel - I have about 10 seconds.

The first two allow safe filtering, the latter requires tucking into the traffic lane and taking a Primary position in the traffic stream

gavintc

Guru
Thats not a nearside blind spot

I do not comprehend. In your initial post, you make a comment about the window in the cab and a flat bed truck having an unnecessary sign about lack of visibility. I agree, but only when the window is clear. Put a load on the truck and the little window is pretty useless. Hence, my comment. The driver cannot see over the flat bed to see a cyclist on the nearside area. However, the area around the rear wheels is well served with the driver's mirrors. The problem area is the area immediately level with the driver on the nearside close to the front wheel.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The little windows a bit of a distraction. Just that these can have better all round vision than say a transit or a luton.
Alongside the cab I can make eye contact with the driver, but I'll not be hanging about as I'm passing, same as with any other large high vehicle e.g LR Discovery.
As you say the nearside mirrors good till you get to that point.

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
i agree with herr b here.
ive been commuting on my bike for the last 12 months and ive certainly had my eyes opened by the antics of some motorists.
i can honestly say that my safety has been compromized on numerose occasions by motorists who i think just dont realise the vulnerability of the cyclist.
ive been driving for 30 years now, own a transit van and 2 cars but its only by cycling myself that i have realised that cyclists deserve more respect from car drivers than they are given.
all drivers should spend some time on a bike then maybe the roads would be safer for us all.

wont happen though. still we can try to educate as much as poss.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I get the impression that you've asked this question but, following your reaction to plenty who have now posted what they reckon, you aren't really that interested.
Nah, I can disagree?

I reckon apart from everything else, if you put a warning sign on everything, it becomes commonplace and loses its impact.

I thought these signs were introduced due to the problem caused not by rear visibility, but by cyclists disappearing into a nearside blind spot? Otherwise why not have them on both sides? As Gavintc said the nearside is well covered by the mirror. I took note on this mornings walk, at the side of the cab the window begins at rib level - I should be just as visible to the driver as if he was in any other vehicle.
Theres no nearside blind spot for something the size of a cyclist, unless on a recumbent.

I'd like to see more of these warnings. On wagons and busses.

Top Bottom