Attending Olympic event: what to expect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all!
As the Olympics will open officially in London tomorrow, maybe those of you who are going to events will be interested in the following info.
As it is happening in Glasgow it's a good bet the same will happen in London. I am catering staff at the Glasgow Hampden Park football events.
Security: it is like at airport, same stuff not allowed on airplanes is not allowed into venues. You will be scanned and bags will be searched.
NO LIQUIDS - no perfume, deodorant, cosmetics and similar. NO DRINKS.
Once inside, by order of the olympic committee, we were allowed to sell ONLY Coca Cola products, Cadburry products, unbranded Pringle crisps, tea, coffee, hot chocolate.
Soft drinks must be served decanted in plastic glasses. As we were not allowed to sell draft soft drinks, we had to decant all bottles one by one, the consequence was a very slow service - try to pour a diet coke, it takes ages as it is very foamy.
Food: we were only allowed to serve pies (low fat ones, superior quality).
NO chips, burgers, fruit, sandwiches, hot dogs.
There was a kids bag including a sandwich, but I'm not sure what else was in it as my department did not sell it.
Prices: Water/Coke 2.50 - Oasis 3.00 - Pies I think 3.50 - Chocolate bars 1.50 - Chocolate share bags/wine gums 3.00
Some points of sale only sell the product of one sponsor, so you might have to queue twice, say for a soft drink and a chocolate bar.
Once you're in the venue you are not allowed back out.
There was no VIP hospitality, so I cannot inform about that.
Have fun at the London Olympics!

Arch

Married to Night Train

Those venues are going to very crowded by the end!

Still, it'll make the outside quieter for the rest of us...

;)

toroddf

Hmm.......... I think that means I will be at the Fintry Sheep Counting Festival instead of the Olympics in London on Sunday. Difficult choice, though.

Let's see what the catering and rules is..... getting out the black & white A5 brochures now....... As much miracle water (also called whisky) as you can drink and afford. Various brands of soft drinks also for sale. No lusty stares at the farmer's wives (to avoid punch ups). No dogs or any sheep eating animals. No clothes and sound making devices (vuvuvelas) which may disturb the sheep counting participants. No offensive banners.

Fintry it is, then.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wow! Do people usually have tickets for just one event then get booted out or are most people there all day? What are the rules on smoking if you arent allowed out? (As an ex-smoker im always curious how its changed).

My surname isnt Oliver ;), but it does tickle me a little that people watching the finest specimens of athleticism are restricted to pies and coke (and i thought MaccyDs?). Suprised about the lack of alcohol though, but probably a good thing.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Mr Jamie:
up to now (we only had 2 days of it) it was buy one ticket, stay for the 2 matches.
Smoking not allowed in the stadium grounds, some people do anyway, never seen it enforced, apart for us staff, but we know where to hide, with the complicity of security :whistle:
If you are in the VIP section (inside that is) and you want to smoke, you're in troubles, as you are not allowed out of your section.
Maccys would be allowed, but we do not have one inside Hampden.
Alcohol is never allowed on football matches here, unless you are in the VIP/hospitality areas, and then only before and after the match, not during it,

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hi all!
As the Olympics will open officially in London tomorrow, maybe those of you who are going to events will be interested in the following info.
As it is happening in Glasgow it's a good bet the same will happen in London. I am catering staff at the Glasgow Hampden Park football events.
Security: it is like at airport, same stuff not allowed on airplanes is not allowed into venues. You will be scanned and bags will be searched.
NO LIQUIDS - no perfume, deodorant, cosmetics and similar. NO DRINKS.
Once inside, by order of the olympic committee, we were allowed to sell ONLY Coca Cola products, Cadburry products, unbranded Pringle crisps, tea, coffee, hot chocolate.
Soft drinks must be served decanted in plastic glasses. As we were not allowed to sell draft soft drinks, we had to decant all bottles one by one, the consequence was a very slow service - try to pour a diet coke, it takes ages as it is very foamy.
Food: we were only allowed to serve pies (low fat ones, superior quality).
NO chips, burgers, fruit, sandwiches, hot dogs.
There was a kids bag including a sandwich, but I'm not sure what else was in it as my department did not sell it.
Prices: Water/Coke 2.50 - Oasis 3.00 - Pies I think 3.50 - Chocolate bars 1.50 - Chocolate share bags/wine gums 3.00
Some points of sale only sell the product of one sponsor, so you might have to queue twice, say for a soft drink and a chocolate bar.
There was no VIP hospitality, so I cannot inform about that.
Have fun at the London Olympics!

That sounds a right shoady light. I'd rather watch my local amateur Budgie Rustling team than that.

Norm

Thanks muchly for posting that, Pat. It sounds pretty much what we expected, but it's good to have it confirmed.

I'm not sure why some consider it to be another excuse to bash the games, I guess that they are a bit insecure at the idea that others might be looking forward to attending.

toroddf

I'm not sure why some consider it to be another excuse to bash the games, I guess that they are a bit insecure at the idea that others might be looking forward to attending.

I think we all should praise the diversity of the mankind. Some like to go to sports events like this and accept their limitations and rip off prices. I both respect and regard those as good fellow human beings.
I have other values and other things I want to do in my life. I did not go to the Lillehammer Olympics (1994) when I had both time and possible tickets. I was not bothered.

Thanx to Pat for the insight into the Olympics. Useful for those of us standing outside, reading a good book and scratching ourselves.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Food and drink at a major sporting event is overpriced and of poor quality - what a shock! The much-hyped extra security amounted to nothing more than a pat-down, and took all of a minute or two to pass through.

I very much enjoyed my visit to Hampden today (including a proper, guarded, cycle parking facility), and I'll be back again on Saturday. I won't be going anywhere near the food service, but that is no different than any other event.

sheddy

Legendary Member
According to the Beeb you can take 10 x 100ml bottles of drink. Also there are drinking fountains in the O Park.
Soft bags/rucksacks must be small enough to go under your seat

Doseone

Guru
Thanks Pat, useful info.

I'm a bit shocked at the prices, £3 for Oasis which is usually about £1.20 but hey ho I knew what I was getting in to when I bought tickets. I seem to remember reading that you can take an empty water bottle which you can fill up at water points?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Norm, the atmosphere today was brilliant: the Japanese know how to cheer their team!
If I was attending instead of working, I would not be bothered by choice or prices, because I'm tight with money, normally bring my own food - would just have to buy water :rolleyes:
In saying that, for people with dietary requirements, or with children, if they don't know how things are, a day out could become a nightmare.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Food and drink at a major sporting event is overpriced and of poor quality - what a shock! The much-hyped extra security amounted to nothing more than a pat-down, and took all of a minute or two to pass through.

I very much enjoyed my visit to Hampden today (including a proper, guarded, cycle parking facility), and I'll be back again on Saturday. I won't be going anywhere near the food service, but that is no different than any other event.
Mine was the bike and pink rucksack chained together, had helmut in it. :smile:

Top Bottom