Attitudes to gap years!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Found posted on one website - a employer writes:

We actually have a policy that we don't hire gap year people
1. taking a gap year shows an abhorrent lack of commitment
2. demonstrates an unhelpful level of concern for the world's scum
3. stupid stories about lice riddled waterfalls of death give the rest of the office ideas about escape
4. we do not concur with the idea that you can go a month without showering nor do we wish to have a tediously ernest history graduate explain "a whole new freedom" or how "your hair self cleans" after a week. It does not.
5. we have a lot of politically exposed people and we don't want to go to the hassle of conflict checking for every uppity 23 year old with quaint ideas about who should own diamond mines

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's a middle-class jolly, items 1, 3 and 4 are about right.

Reactions: 4F

jhawk

Veteran
"Taking a gap year shows a lack of commitment"...

Utter tripe. As someone whose currently finding out about myself, and on a journey of self-discovery as I try to find out what I want to do with my life...

I've been out of school for two years, I graduated with Honours from my high school here in Canada, had really great marks throughout high school. I could have gotten into most Universities in the country if I knew what I wanted to do. But, since I have no idea, I've decided that rather than pour money I don't have into an education in something that I'm not sure I want, I'll explore the World around me and hopefully discover myself and my place in that World.

My current immigration paperwork is going through it's course, and so I'm unable to work. But if I was, I'd be everywhere handing in CV's, every day and every place that was hiring. How dare they tell me that I am uncommitted simply because I choose to take the path less travelled.

Rant over.

:laugh: wonder what they would make of someone quitting their job to go and cycle around the world... ahhh well....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
2 and 5 are very worrying.
Can you discriminate against job seekers based on political views?
Who are these employers? Are they making money by exploiting Africa's natural resourses by any chance?

Top Bottom