Attitudes to gap years!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
These gap year students...Are they the same ones who whine about tuition fees and how they're going to bankrupt them, like, forever? :gun:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There is a rather sick-making voluntourism industry out there, for the offspring of corporate lawyers and bankers to go bother elephants for a fortnight at vast expense, but I don't think a gap year is necessarily a self-indulgent load of toot. I did it myself, earning the money to go & travel for a year (until the money ran out and I had to work out there as well), and it was one of the more worthwhile experiences of my life.

It saddens me that my daughter insists that her year out has to include an extended period of work experience directly related to her proposed degree, or it will count against her when it comes to applying to universities. In my day it was generally thought that showing the gumption to get off your arse and travel the world was some kind of recommendation in itself. Initiative, self-reliance, curiosity, that sort of thing. Now it seems Directly Relevant Experience is pretty much all that counts.

While looking into the options, I did come across some stories dripping what for want of a better (though dangerously contentious in the circs) word I shall call black comedy - eg the 'volunteer' assigned to assist at a school in Kenya who found herself by turns traumatised by the incessant use of beatings to control the kids, or breaking down in tears of frustration when left in 'control', as the kids all ran riot, knowing there was no fear of physical retribution.

asterix

Comrade Member
I wouldn't employ anyone who used the phrase "journey of self discovery", to be honest. Or "the path less travelled"^_^. Fortunately, as a spectacularly unambitious lorry driver who couldn't care less about his place in the world, I'll never be in a position to employ anyone.

You mean you don't rely on a satnav?

asterix

Comrade Member
Found posted on one website - a employer writes:

We actually have a policy that we don't hire gap year people
1. taking a gap year shows an abhorrent lack of commitment
Yes, and?
2. demonstrates an unhelpful level of concern for the world's scum
i.e. won't show any loyalty to their employer
3. stupid stories about lice riddled waterfalls of death give the rest of the office ideas about escape
be afraid, very afraid. The slaves are revolting.
4. we do not concur with the idea that you can go a month without showering nor do we wish to have a tediously ernest history graduate explain "a whole new freedom" or how "your hair self cleans" after a week. It does not.
Yup, they're definitely revolting.
5. we have a lot of politically exposed people and we don't want to go to the hassle of conflict checking for every uppity 23 year old with quaint ideas about who should own diamond mines
We own the diamond mines, get your mitts off and dig, peasant..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If there's one thing worse then it's those that want you to pay them to do it.

"oh, I'm a massive horse riding fan so I'm joining a horse riding trek around Mongolia to raise money, please pay sponsor me for this holiday fund-raising event"

Yep, I get told this all the time when I mention a bike ride over 50 miles. "You should do it for charity"

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
4. we do not concur with the idea that you can go a month without showering nor do we wish to have a tediously ernest history graduate explain "a whole new freedom" or how "your hair self cleans" after a week. It does not.
I used to know a student who tried letting his hair self clean. I also used to know a surfer who said that once you'd been covered in salty water you didn't need to wash for a week, although for some reason his girlfriend wrinkled her nose when he told us this.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Apparently it does if you keep brushing it every day - that is thoroughly, taking ten minutes at least, they way that people used to before abundant hot water.
The journalist, Matthew Parris, is a self-proclaimed follower. In his autobiography, he expressed his waspish displeasure at the number of letters he got about his personal grooming compared to those about his journalism.

Top Bottom