Attitudes to gap years!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
2890721 said:
My colleague Eugene used to buy a copy of the Times every day. I would sneak it off his desk to write "Twat" across Parris' forehead everyday. Simple pleasures.
You are Paul Whitehouse and ICMFP.
[media]

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3_Kfi9zki0
[/media]

asterix

Comrade Member
Nope. I use a sextant.

Then you must have one of these?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQyWwHPcfz5sJKz8tQR0YB0EybpDWgEd4ni6A662WTtrLQzRP3.jpg

As lot more stylish than a satnav I agree, but a bit tricky doing the noon-day sighting without forward planning. And having to rely on dead reckoning on cloudy days must be a drag.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I took 2 gap years when I was a police officer. I was taken off my motorbike by a 17 year old boy racer and it took me just over 2 years to recover enough to go back to work.

I was bored to death.

Steve

screenman

Legendary Member
Is it right to have a gap year when you spend all you earn and a bit more, then complain you cannot get a deposit together for a house or flat.

Is it right to have a gap year when you spend all you earn and a bit more, then complain you cannot get a deposit together for a house or flat.
We took our 'career gap' in our forties (well just before I turned forty) and have never been able to afford a deposit for a house despite both of us working from the word go after uni, so I can't see it would make much difference.

My sister only managed a deposit for 'her' house because our parents gave us all £10,000 pre-inheritance each and my sister used that and the fact she was buying our mother's old house (which she & my youngest brother were living in) to be able to afford to buy it - our mother did the 'moving out' thing instead. Any other house and she would not have been able to get enough of a deposit or afford it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Weird thing this education, both of you went to uni and could not afford a deposit, I got expelled at 15 no further education married at 18 survived on a single income and put a big deposit on a house at 24.

Having said all that I am glad 2 of my boys have degrees and more and the third a good trade.

Julia9054

Guru
Bought my first house in 1995. Deposit was £3000 (5%)
Same house today would need £10000 for a 5% deposit. More first time buyers are asked for 20% deposit these days I believe. Can't see my lad being able to save £40000 in the next 8years to be able to buy at the same age I did. Young people don't have it at all easy.

Top Bottom