Audax bike choice - £500 limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Trying to help one of my son's friends (16 y.o.) choose a new bike.

It will be used on our JoGLE in August, but he doesn't want a "tourer" - and it won't be used to carry any amount of luggage, (support vehicles sorted:biggrin:)

He's seen the basic Spesh Allez 16 at £499, but I think something with a longer wheelbase, 'guard clearance, and either a 50/34 compact or a triple would be better.

So i'm thinking something more on the lines of an "Audax" bike.
Not a whole lot of choice with a £500 limit !

Anyone got any suggestions?

jimboalee

Is the JOGLE 14 x 100km, 7 x 200km or the whole thing in one bash?

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Is the JOGLE 14 x 100km, 7 x 200km or the whole thing in one bash?

20 x 80 km
TBH he could do it on his dad's old steel clunker - but he wants a new bike.....

3BM - I thought of Ribble too. Outside his price range... and whilst I'm quite happy to put with Ribble's crappy service on components for the sake of a few quid saved, I'm not going inflict it on anyone else.

This is under consideration, but again outside his £500 limit, and I think he'd really rather buy from LBS if he can. We have plenty of good ones round here, all the big name brands well represented.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Trek 1.2 or similar (again a bit over his limit, but look out old stock)?
Will take 28c tyres + mudguards, options for both compact and triple chainsets. Mrs Landslide has the WSD version, gets on with it great.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you can stump up another £99 Surosa have two bikes that fit the bill perfectly.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
If it were for me (and the right size) I'd be interested in the Mercian, but I've promised myself no more steel bikes. (I already have too many:smile:) And fairly sure he wants brand new.

The B'Twin may lose out on lack of mudguard clearance.

The Pinnacles, although otherwise well-equipped, have rather "cheap" sounding wheel spec.

I'm going to see if I can mug a local Dawes dealer for a better deal on the Sportif for him. If not, may have to be the Airlite, unless he can stretch his budget, in which case the Surosa comes into the frame.

Thanks all for your input... great help.

Top Bottom