audax on garmin edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

yello said:
Good man pp, top marks. I was going to do something similar.

Sarah, you should be able to plug your Edge into the USB port of your computer and send the track directly to it. Look on the 'Summary' tab of BikeRouteToaster web page and you'll see 'Download To Garmin GPS, click 'tcx' and bob will be your auntie. Good luck!

Meanwhile, the others can mess around with mapping software xx(

Don't forget.

Before loading the .tcx file onto your Garmin, place 'Course points' on the track where the Info controls are.

Having done this, you will not go riding straight past the info control you should have committed to memory when you plotted the route on Mapsource.

jimboalee

If this is your first Audax and your first use of Garmin to guide you, I would suggest you create a couple of shorter rides and practice.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

porkypete said:
TCX file is here
thankyou so so much for doing that, really can't tell you how much I appreciate that. thankyou again:smile::rolleyes:
jimboalee said:
Don't forget.

Before loading the .tcx file onto your Garmin, place 'Course points' on the track where the Info controls are.

Having done this, you will not go riding straight past the info control you should have committed to memory when you plotted the route on Mapsource.

Hi thanks for the advice, forgive me if im being silly but how would I place it on their. im really not good with technology, but happy to learn:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use the garmin software if not sure - Download to the folder you keep your tracks/routes in on the PC) open/view the TCX file using the Garmin Mapsource, or with Garmin Connect (the on line account), then click the 'transfer to device icon'.

Oh you are going to have fun with a 705 if 'not good with technology'...eek.... they are tricky little beasts sometimes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Use the garmin software if not sure - Download to the folder you keep your tracks/routes in on the PC) open/view the TCX file using the Garmin Mapsource, or with Garmin Connect (the on line account), then click the 'transfer to device icon'.

Just right-click on the relevant points in Mapsource, you get a choice of icons, THEN when you "transfer to device" it will give you the option to send both waypoints and track together to the Garmin.

Least that's what it does on mine, but it is an Etrex rather than an Edge, so uses .gpx rather than .tcx
Have to say i'm still a little hazy on the disticntion between waypoints, trackpoints, coursepoints.

Personally I try to follow printed route instructions as well as the track on the Garmin.... just in case of technology failure. And if you take a further backup in the form of a road atlas page with route pencilled on too you can guarantee the Garmin will be 100% reliable.

yello

jimboalee said:
place 'Course points' on the track where the Info controls are.

Personally, I never bothered with that. Just having the track on the Garmin was enough for me. But if you want to do it Sarah then you can add them to the map on BikeRouteToaster before loading it to the 705.

I like to keep things simple (helps my simple brain) and I think I'd probably get frustrated with the extra features on a 705. I like simple bread crumbs trails to follow.

vorsprung

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Which mapping have you got on the Garmin?

City Navigator, Topo GB or Metroguide.

You MUST have Mapsource on your PC.

PS. Its about three hours work.

this is why I don't bother with GPS units. I am slaving over a hot computer at work all day. Why bother with something that will lead to more fiddly technology BS?

I just want to ride my bike

jimboalee

fossyant said:

Oh you are going to have fun with a 705 if 'not good with technology'...eek.... they are tricky little beasts sometimes.

Yup. They are tricky little beasts that come with an instruction manual that says exactly.... nothing,,,,;)

Top Bottom