Audax Perm French Sea to Sea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I take it you didn't camp and so weren't carrying camping gear? That's a significant difference.

I agree that 200km a day is definitely do-able... if you're unladen! It's do-able even when loaded BUT it's much much more of a task and, imho at least, it'd be more of an endurance event than a holiday.

I am certainly not wishing to discourage Ajay, far from it, but I'll not hide from saying that I think it'll be hard going.

A pannier on one bike, a saddle bag in the other. The saddle bag held the metal stuff (spare/tools), so weight was reasonably well shared. Probably lost a kph or two up the hills. But another reason to stick to hotels.

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Thanks all for the input. I'm sure I will end up staying in hotels / b&bs, the reward of a proper bed and meal each night will be a good motivator!
I got permission for the week from "the boss" on the basis it was done on a tight budget, so I'd better start syphoning funds into my secret cycling account now so she doesnt notice! (anyone else have one of these)

ChuckoLotte

Why are u doing PBP? I read in ur blog re why long-distance cycling... but why specifically PBP? (I'm trying to make up my mind and if somebody wants to start up a thread on it, would appreciate it. This is my first post so trying to see how it all works.) Btw, very much appreciated the link to 1000 du Sud. Does look amazing.
I am doing PBP next year, this seems a bit more "obvious" than a 1000km perm...

Alternatively, there is http://lemilledusud.blogspot.com/
"Le 1000 du Sud" in September which looks amazing

PpPete

Legendary Member
Why are u doing PBP? I read in ur blog re why long-distance cycling... but why specifically PBP? (I'm trying to make up my mind and if somebody wants to start up a thread on it, would appreciate it. This is my first post so trying to see how it all works.) Btw, very much appreciated the link to 1000 du Sud. Does look amazing.

Without wishing in any to be disloyal to CC there is an excellent board on PBP over on YACF

asterix

Comrade Member
In 2003 I did 3 days of c. 190km crossing the Massif Central with a tent and stuff. At first I was doing shorter days, especially over Puy Mary which I found quite tough going, especially as they were resurfacing the uphill approach before l'etape. As I got nearer the coast I seemed to get fitter and fitter and the miles flew by.

In 2007 we did the touring raid Pyrenean in 10 days which is IIRC 28 cols, 790km, 16,000m of climbing. We took a tent each which was just as well since we overnighted 2 cols apart on one stage due to a mechanical. (How did we manage without mobile phones?)

This year we did the 100 hour version, 720km, c. 11000m climbing with support this time. It rained every day (snow on the Tourmalet) and despite using hotels, having dry kit at the start of each day was impossible - finding enough newspaper for stuffing shoes was a challenge!

Next year?

I definitely think it's best to go north to south as it is so moral-boosting as the weather warms up!

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Good work Asterix,
I did the Raid Pyreneen in sept '09, we had snow on the Tourmalet aswell, what an epic day that was! Who did you go with? we used www.marmot-tours.co.uk can't recommend them highly enough, they're fantastic. I'd like to do their Raid Alpine with them in 2012.

Fiona N

Veteran
hotel with restaurant every night sounds groovey

so essentially a Dunwich a day but in daylight and in France

what's not to like?

:biggrin: Absolutely

200km a day is doable with a loaded bike but as has been pointed out, it's not really a holiday and it's best for getting from A to B. It worked for me in Australia, across the Nullabor, Perth to Melbourne in 3 weeks (4500km, 19 days cycling), because there basically wasn't anything else to do but cycle (trickier in South Australia, which was lovely) and the petrol stations/rest stops/camp sites/water are ~200km apart (or were in 1982) so if you couldn't get between them in a day you had to carry a lot of food and water as well as camping gear. But in France , it requires singlemindedness or a high level of fitness to maintain a good speed otherwise you'll be counting the minutes at every cafe stop or camera break.

chevin

We've done that route - Caen to Montpelier - but as a tour. Quite a few years ago (1990!), and it took us a very comfortable two and a half weeks. One of the most enjoyable trips/holidays we've ever done. Not sure that anything I can remember would be of any use now, but we did it using b&bs, small hotels, and gites (took sleeping bags but no tent). Toughest section comfortably was crossing the SW footslopes of the Massif Central - up and down those river valleys like a yo-yo. And the heat! It was a hot year (even the TdeF riders were complaining of the 'chaleur'), but we found that by starting at 5-6am and finishing at lunchtime to hole up in a bar and watch the Tour with the locals, actually added to the sense of fun. Lucky you!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A 1000km event run under BRM regulations would have a 13.3kph minimum speed, so rather more than 200km a day. The min speed drops to 200km per day for events over 2500km. BRM would allow five 200km events at 15kph (or 14.3kph under UK regs).

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
A 1000km event run under BRM regulations would have a 13.3kph minimum speed, so rather more than 200km a day. The min speed drops to 200km per day for events over 2500km. BRM would allow five 200km events at 15kph (or 14.3kph under UK regs).
The Randonnee version is based on min 13.3kph
I was thinking of the Brevet Populaire with a min avg 8.3kph, the 200km per day was a round figure approximation of mine - it would be a little more.
(info as per Audax UK Permanents)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Which, paradoxically, indicates that five BR 200s might be an easier option. Or possibly not, in that you'd have to finish each 200 within 14 hours. It sounds like a great trip whichever way.

Top Bottom