Auntie Helen's Cycle Tour of Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Great report Helen - especially since it was done in near real-time!!
You've inspired me to start plotting something in Northern Europe myself. Maybe Bruges and thereabouts...

stevevw

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Great report Helen - especially since it was done in near real-time!!
You've inspried me to start plotting something in Northern Europe myself. Maybe Bruges and thereabouts...

Dr. Join Watton Wheelers they are doing a mini tour around Bruge later this year.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
*googles Watton Wheelers and hunts for website*

Maybe. I was thinking of soloing it on the Brompton, as getting Eurostar with a road bike is a major painus anus.
With the brommie and a small bag it'd be a piece of cake.

Crankarm

Guru
TheDoctor said:
*googles Watton Wheelers and hunts for website*

Maybe. I was thinking of soloing it on the Brompton, as getting Eurostar with a road bike is a major painus anus.
With the brommie and a small bag it'd be a piece of cake.

Indeed it is. A Brompton is no hassle at all. Even if you have an additional seat post rack with QR as well and another bag(s) on the back, it's still a piece of tarte framboise :smile:.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Andy in Sig said:
So Helen, now that you are back, what kit did you take that you wouldn't bother with again, what worries proved unfounded and what did you wish you had thought of?
Good questions!

I didn't need my German dictionary.

I also didn't need almost all the tools but one has to take them - it made me realise that if I'd been with another person or two we would probably have made do with the same number of tools but spread them around the bikes so that would have been easier.

I could have had a lesser lock than the one I took (see below).

I probably didn't need the Bett & Bike book that I had bought earlier as it's pretty difficult to find a bad hotel/Gasthof in Germany and there was enough information in the back of the bikeline books to make my choice from anyway.

I should probably have bought a newspaper now and again so I knew what was going on and had something to read. Talking books on my mobile phone are OK but they're not something you can listen to on the train, etc. Having the two phones was really useful in keeping the texting costs down too - I texted my Dad's German mobile from my German mobile and he replied to my English mobile from his English mobile, thus only in-country costs each time. I texted him several times a day so he knew where I was, for safety etc.

Unfounded worries - I suppose that I might get stuff nicked or have some weird bloke latch on to me. The more time I spent there, the more relaxed I was about my bike's security (although I did always lock it - after all, I had bought the 2kg Abus lock with me!) I also didn't attract anyone particularly for conversation, dodgy bloke or not - I think I was unrealistic in my expectations of having people joining me along the way. I was faster than most other people and so few overtook me and those I overtook were just trundling along.

Interestingly, my Mum said today on the phone that she was worried about me the whole time I was out there, mainly because they didn't know where I was (although they knew where I had been). Weirdly I felt safer cycling in Germany (where there are always loads of other cyclists if you have a problem) than in the UK where if I had a bike disaster I might be a mile's walk from civilisation round here.

What do I wish I had thought of? I wish that I'd joined the two German cycling forums sooner. Several people have posted on them that they would have like to ride with me but didn't have enough notice. The husband and wife I met on their recumbents post on one of the forums (and have contacted me through it) so I might have met up with them and ridden a little way with them. Perhaps then I might have kept going a bit longer, feeling not so isolated.

I think the hassles with the train on the outward leg were newbie problems which were much less significant on the way home now I'm more experienced with my trike on foreign trains. If I were to do the trip again tomorrow I'd be far less worried about that side of it. In fact, I'd love to do another trip already (with someone else or a group) and I'm already investigating possibilities.

Oh, and I wish I'd been able to find the non-quick-release bolts for my front wheels. The QRs add almost a centimetre breadth to the trike each side and once or twice 1.5cm was the difference between getting through a gap and having to faff. I seem to have lost the bolts though :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
With regards to bikes on trains, I reckon the best thing to do is loosen all panniers before the train gets into the station, then throw them into the bike compartment before carrying an as light as possible bike/trike onto the train. Same process for getting off.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, this is what I discovered for the return trip (although I do have a vague recollection that you did suggest this to me before I went, but I somehow shelved it in a back recess of my mind).

Still, even that would have been easier with a companion as I did worry once or twice that I'd sling the pannier on the train, get back off to get my trike and the train would zoom off without me and the trike and with my luggage. When doing all train manoeuvres I had my rucksack with my valuables/passport on my back so it was always with me.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There's no danger of the train going off because:

a. German rail staff are very familiar with cyclists getting on and off.

b. It's guaranteed to work if you bring your bike up to the door and simply reach your bags up to the top of the steps and then follow with your bike, pushing the bags out of the way with your foot if need be.

Top Bottom