Auntie Helen's Cycle Tour of Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
95cm Arallsoppp but the Mosel is a very narrow valley!

Rubbish Internet cafe (spot the tzpos) so can't wrte up today's ride today, will do it tomorrow from Cochem where I can also upload more photos at the ncie internet cafe.

Am in Bernkastel-Kues which is lovely, and bo y am I glad I prebooked the room as everywhere is Belegt.

Loadsa sunshine, beautiful scenery, didn't get lost around Mülheim this time.

Went in search of a bike shop today but it was closedd. Mirror isn't a big issue at the moment as it still works - I have been checking out other peoples' mirrors, though, and it seems there's more choice here.

Oh, and I saw another ecumbent trike today! A Quix (apparently a German company that is now Kaputt). Had a good chat with the happie. He had good mirrors...

More tomorrow, folks, when I have my nice easy trundle to Cochem, just 45 miles I think.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Day 7 - Saturday 30th May

Distance: 40.86 miles; time: 4:48:55; Average speed: 10.7 mph; Max speed: 23.1 mph; Calories (according to Garmin): 2644; total tour distance 291.51 miles.

Well James is at Portsmouth, apparently, (I phoned him last night), so I have probably cycled further than they have sailed in that time!

I took the other side of the Mosel path out of Trier and it was slightly nicer than the way in. The Mosel Radweg book showed two different routes through the village of Kenn but somehow I found a third which involved going down a grassy path (I had to ask some Polish fishermen exactly where I was) and then I appeared to pedalling fast towards a motorway.
3581571886_939a794195.jpg

Fortunately there was another road so I didn't have to hit the Autobahn but ended up cycling underneath it after having to drag my trike up a dusty slope to the Radweg from the road. Not fun. Once again, Auntie Helen gets lost!
3581572128_9edb76e393.jpg

I met a recumbent rider today on a Quix (a yellow trike) and we had a good chat. He said he has 40-something gears (didn't catch the exact number). We chatted for about 15 minutes until his wife, on a normal bike, got bored.

I stopped for lunch at Neumagen-Dhron and had some Zwiebelsuppe (onion soup) with Riesling in, so I have finally sampled some of the produce of this valley.
3580762887_0554414b42.jpg

It was a lovely sunny day and loads of families were out, including a chap being towed along by a Weimaraner.
3580763643_be3fd37c01.jpg

I don't suppose we could get Lucy to do that - she's too wimpy and would probably drag us under a bus or after a rabbit. There were also quite a few fast sporty riders out, often on the road rather than Radweg. I haven't seen many like this so far this tour although there are always loads cycling around at home. Most people seem to ride in jeans and t-shirt rather than lycra. I also saw several dog trailers, sometimes with the dog in, sometimes with it running alongside. There were zillions of caravans and motorhomes at the campsites, mostly with German registration plates, and 2 out of 3 with satellite dishes on the roof. Can't do without their television! Mind you, I did watch 'The Dish' (about the moon landings) in German this evening.

Random seaplane:
3580764079_80b6af609b.jpg

Rather ironically, considering that I have reversed my direction, I had a headwind again. At least it keeps me cool - although it's dead warm outside, the draught the trike creates means I'm not overheating, which is good.

Travelling back through Mülheim I managed not to get lost like last time (hurrah!) and then arrived in Bernkastel-Kues which was lovely but utterly heaving with people.
3581575758_45bb41859d.jpg

The Hotel Alter Posthof was very nice and friendly and my trike was tied to a tree in the yard which was locked at night.
3581576954_86f872a08c.jpg

I found a rather bad internet cafe so couldn't write much. I also found a cycle shop which was closed but had a rather cool inner-tube vending machine outside.
3580765223_418e3ac9f8.jpg

I also saw an anthrotech recumbent trike tied up outside a guest house in Bernkastel, so that's the second of the day!

Worked my way through a good portion of M&Ms after my dinner of schnitzel before 'The Dish' and bed.

By the way, the Flickr photos have been updated with some more. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12938818@N00/

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Day 8 - Sunday 31st May

Distance: 63.32 miles; time: 5:14:40; Average speed: 12.1 mph; Max speed: 23.4 mph; Calories (according to Garmin): 3832; total tour distance 354.83 miles.

Today's plan was to cycle to Cochem, 50 miles away. However I had a chat with the hotel owner and he thought accommodation problems in Cochem might occur as it was still Pfingsten. He thought that there would be accommodation available in some of the smaller villages around the larger towns so I decided to cycle to Cochem, visit the Internet cafe there, and then cycle on a bit further to find some cheap (and available) accommodation.

This plan seemed a good 'un as I did notice some free rooms in the smaller villages I cycled through so hopefully that will be the case when I leave here on my way further westwards (here being Cochem).

Today's route was the right hand side (southerly) bank of the Mosel and it was very nice. There was an unfortunate piece of off-road, however, rather like the Wivenhoe Trail near Colchester, which is a dusty and rough surface - and this path had grass going up the middle (which one front wheel has to go through). It was also surprisingly hilly - but I made it, admittedly using my Granny Ring.

Major excitement of the morning was running into another two trikers - a chap on a Thorax with a trailer and his wife on an HP Velotechnik Skorpion. I had a sit on both trikes - the Skorpion looked really impressive. The man told me that he and his wife have sixteen bicycles, including a Trice! They must have an enormous garage!
3581577478_193693df1f.jpg

Took a photo with the camera's self-timer as it was laid on the floor. The Radweg was quite busy so I think we annoyed some other cyclists by taking up most of the path!

3591356171_ea9240a2cb.jpg

And here is a pic of me that the chap took and emailed. Note how I am dressed to cover up from the sun... it was very strong!
3592008168_9783d2d98b.jpg

There were loads of other cyclists out today, of course, as it's a Sunday, but I made good speed to Cochem, getting here in 4 hours (for 50 miles). After I've finished on the Net I shall have an Apfelpfannkuchen mit Sahne and then hit the road for another 20 miles or so, to the other side of Treis-Karden, to find a nice village. There won't be much to do when I stop apart from eat as it's a Sunday so shops are shut, so I might as well do a high mileage day.

...and a further report...

So I set off from Cochem with a vague plan to stop in Hatzenport, a smallish village on the left hand bank of the Mosel. As hundreds of bikers passed me (including some very impressive Harleys and motor-trikes), I began to be a little concerned again that I wouldn't find a place to stay. However when I rolled into Hatzenport after the 22km I found a place straight away that would do a room for 32,50€ for the night. My trike was parked amongst a lot of shiny motorcycles and I went to have a wander round Hatzenport after freshening up.
3591201431_2e342f185f.jpg

There was some kind of outdoor event on so my evening meal was a Bratwurst with chips for 3,50€.
3591201743_2af17dc733.jpg

3592008406_1e767b4fd8.jpg

When I got back to the hotel room and plugged my Garmin bike satnav in to charge... there was nothing! I noticed also that the lights in the room weren't working. I reported this to the landlady and her husband fiddled with the fuse box and fixed it. The same had happened to me the following morning, without me plugging anything in anywhere, so the electricity is clearly a bit temperamental.

My room was actually the first genuine single room I've had on this tour (i.e. with a single bed). I went down and had a cup of tea in the bar area - for which I was only charged 50 cents as I had brought my own teabag! - and the local chaps were chatting to me about where I was from. One of them knew Ipswich (vaguely) and was trying to tell me that Ipswich Town used to be a very successful football team. This sounded rather unlikely to me but I told him I wasn't very knowledgeable about football.

I have been considering my luggage and whether I packed well. It seems that I did, the washing line being brilliant. I have about the right number of clothes, I think, although I've only worn my waterproof jacket at Harwich whilst waiting for the ferry when I left. However I haven't used my tools except for the allen keys (including puncture repair kit, etc) and I haven't used my German dictionary. Apart from that, everything else has been used, so I've done well.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Day 9 - Monday 1st June

Distance: 68.97 miles; time: 6:03:20; Average speed: 11.3 mph; Max speed: 20.2 mph; Calories (according to Garmin): 4382; total tour distance 423.65 miles.

When I got up this morning I felt a bit weary of the packing/unpacking/washing of clothes/carting everything about and wondered when to call the tour a day and go home. The more the day progressed, the more I felt the time was right to head home, so that's what I'm doing tomorrow - getting the train to the Hoek van Holland and the overnight ferry crossing, arriving home on Wednesday morning.

Anyway, I set off from Hatzenport this morning at nine and crossed over the Mosel as soon as I could to take the other bank (thus not retrace my steps of last week). The signage was very keen for me to cross over again and it became clear why - a large part of this route was just on the road with the cars without even a cycle track. That doesn't worry me, of course, and it meant I made good time to Koblenz.
3592009384_61077e94d7.jpg

The cycle path around Deutsches Eck was buried under Imbiss stalls, little market stalls selling trinkets, beer stands and the like. Clearly making the most of Pfingsten, the place was heaving with people wandering around buying stuff. To avoid the worst of the crowds I had to go on a rather cobblestoney road which felt like it was shaking my fillings out of my teeth.

From Deutsches Eck southwards along the Rhine the cycle path suddenly turned into a woodland track. Very pretty, but some dodgy signage meant I lost my way a little and found myself attempting to ascent a pretty steep gravelly slope. As often happens in this situation with the trike, where the rider's weight is rather more over the front wheels than the back one, I found my pedalling was just spinning the rear wheel. Fortunately a nice German chappie appeared and pushed me up the hill - at the top was the correct cycle path. Trices aren't that good at off-roading, as I had previously discovered.

The route alongside the Rhine was rather nice - I saw a very impressive castle (can't remember its name!) and watched lots of tourist ships and barges going past.
3592009908_5230b94602.jpg

The world and his wife was out on the cycle paths today, walking and cycling with dogs and children in tow. It is quite difficult sharing the paths with walkers at times as they tend to spread out a bit and don't always move to the left when you ring your bell to overtake them.

I arrived at Boppard which was the first major town south of Koblenz on the Rhine.
3592010314_2bc7a65e10.jpg

I stopped here for a drink and a rather fab strawberry gateau with cream, and thought about my plans.
3592010980_dbd1d702e5.jpg

I couldn't decide whether to press on to Bacharach or Bingen, then travel back the next day to Bad Breising or somewhere north, or to call it a day today. In the end I decided to turn round at Boppard and cycle back to Bad Breising, a longish day but a nice ride.

I arrived at Bad Breising at 5pm feeling pretty tired after six hours in the saddle. I returned to the same hotel, Hotel Anker, and they recognised me and gave me an even nicer room this time! After freshening up I went to investigate trains to Venlo (I have to go to Düsseldorf, then change to a train to Venlo) and it will be 27,70€, although the machine only takes cards and there is no ticket office. Not sure if my card will work, I shall give it a go tomorrow and if not I shall try to buy a ticket on the train. There was a choice of three different bicycle tickets, not sure of the difference, but the most expensive is 4,50€ and the cheapest 2,50€ so I'll probably go for the pricey one for safety's sake!

I then went to the posh hotel that has internet for guests (from where I am typing this) and worked out the Dutch trains, which will be 25,50€ and the bicycle ticket (which is 5,70€ I think), so I'll be spending a fair bit on trains tomorrow. My father had phoned Stena line for me to find out if there were spaces on the overnight crossing tomorrow, which there are, and whether I can just roll up and buy my ticket at the harbour, which I can. So I will.

Tonight I shall have a good hearty meal at the hotel (the last one was very good!) as I've not eaten much today apart from a banana and the strawberry gateau and I've burned off a lot of calories.

Bad Breisig at dusk:
3591203941_16dc1cf0f9.jpg

3592010550_5906b7d484.jpg

Met a lady with a wonderful 9-week-old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy and had a chat with her about dogs in general and Weimaraner naughtiness in particular. Her puppy was still quite bitey and chewed some of my hair - I'm not too sure of the German commands for doggies but 'Nein!' seemed to work OK to stop the hair-biting.

I'm not particularly looking forward to the train journeys tomorrow but have decided it will be easier if I take the panniers off at the station and manhandle the bike without them on. As long as I don't leave them on the platform...

stevevw

Guru
Helen
Sorry to hear you are cutting your trip short. I have enjoyed reading about your progress and could not detect that you had reached the end of your tether. Probably best to come home now so you are not put off future trips. Well done for all you have achieved and hope to see you soon. I can not make the Chiltern 100’s now but the others will be glad to see you I am sure.

Steve

peanut

what an excellent write up Helen. Trying to imagine you sat in some posh hotel foyer in your cycling garb encrusted in dust and persperation with hair all over the place typing your report. It all seems very exciting to me as I rarely go anywhere these days certainly not out of the UK.

Thats a very good daily mileage you are covering given that you obviously need to stop periodically and find your way etc.If the roads were a lot safer I'd be keen to try a trike myself.

Sorry to hear that you are thinking of returning but you've clearly done all you set out to do and more .It sounds like its been a good experience. Can't help thinking a cycling partner might have helped to lift your spirits occasionally and share some of the responsibilities for organising everything.

Safe trip back

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm another who has been thoroughly enjoying reading your updates (and looking at some of the photos) of your tour, hope you have a safe journey home.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I"m back ;)

Stopped off in Wix (nice village where we lost Steve & FFFF on mz czclechat ride, not that that narrows it down verz much!) to buy some milk and a doughnut. Just jumped on trhe scales and I have lost 2kg on this 11 day tour so that's not bad at all.

Ah, I'm going to have to get used to a UK keyboard again.

Anyway, I didn't reach the end of my tether, Steve, I just decided that it was wise not to prolong the holiday to the point where I didn't enjoy it. And I am a gregarious person so being on my own for 11 days has been a bit trying. Next time I shall drag some of you with me!

I will write up the last couple of days once I've had my cuppa and doughnut and set off some washing. Can't have a hot shower yet as the heating/immersion have been off, but they are on now. I shall go and collect the dog in an hour or so - I have missed her. Husband should be arriving in Alderney about now on Tante Helena, our former boat (spot any significance in the name) so yes, folks, I shall turn up on Sunday (as long as you don't think I'll be too slow for y'all) as I'll need some congenial society!

Oh, and the train journeys weren't too bad yesterday - I finally got the knack of manhandling trike & luggage around stations.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Holland was nice but it was slow going on their cycle paths - you just can't get a good speed up. The signs for the cycle route were also, like the German ones, occasionally not clear enough so (surprise surprise) I went wrong a couple of times on my way to the Hook from Rotterdam.

The bits of Germany that I cycled were as flat as Holland really. I can recommend Germany, too, for the ubiquity of nice food establishments that include cake!

peanut

glad to hear you are back safe and sound. Must be a nightmare manhandling a trike on and off trains.

Looking forward to reading the whole thread when i have some time to relax. You're a natural writer. Hope you will have time to edit this thread and submit it as an article for the mag .

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I don't think I'm cut out for overnight riding unless it's to Southend where I can prevail upon my folks to put me up afterwards.

I have to say that cycling home along the A120, I decided I actually quite like the fact that we cycle on the roads in the UK as you can maintain a good speed and you know where you're going (roughly).

I assume I'll see you at the Chiltern Hundreds ride on Sunday, Mr Teef? I'll have to show you my Aperitifesque thighs... or perhaps not.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Peanut, thanks for the encouragement.

I'm going to edit this thread by putting the relevant photos in the text. Am just about to upload the final few to Flickr and then will start the laborious process of doing this for this forum, YACF and radforum.de.

Oh, and I had this message on radforum.de:

Hallo Helen,

ich bin der Thorax-Liegedreiradfahrer, den du zwischen Zeltingen-Rachtig und Erden getroffen hast.

Wir haben so viele Räder, weil wir mit kleinen und größeren Gruppen kulturelle Liegeradtouren und -reisen machen. Die Räder stehen nicht in unserer Garage - eine Garage besitzen wir nicht - sondern in einem eigens angemieteten Raum an der Mosel zwischen Bernkastel und Trier.

Viele freundliche Reiseerfahrungen und schöne Landschaftsimpressionen wünschen dir
Veronika und Arnold

Which means:

Hi Helen, I'm the Thorax tricyclist who you met between Zeltingen-Rachtig and Erden.

We've got so many bikes because we lead recumbent cultural tours with small and large groups. We don't keep the bikes in our garage (we don't have one) but in a specially rented room beside the Mosel between Bernkastel and Trier.

We wish you friendly travelling experiences and wonderful scenery.

Top Bottom