Auntie Helen's Cycle Tour of Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Welcome back Helen. I was wondering if it would have been any different had you had some company. Used to tour on my own in my teens and never made it beyond four or five days. You start to feel like Robinson Crusoe after a while!

Sig SilverPrinter

welcome back Helen
how much was the overnight ferry from Harwich? we have living friends in the Hague and keep saying we will go see them,looking at whether the ferry is cheapest means of getting there.
won't see you on sunday as its dads 85th b/day but hopefully catch up in july if its still on

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Overnight ferry was about £60ish, not entirely sure how much as my folks paid and refused to tell me!

The ferry there (which I paid for) was £68 but that included train travel to anywhere in Holland as well, not sure how much of the overall cost the train was.

I am a real convert to overnight ferry travel as it's easy and you get to sleep during the crossing in a cheap overnight.

July ride is definitely still on, will do a trial run of it sometime soon to tweak it a bit for the best route.

stevevw

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
welcome back Helen
how much was the overnight ferry from Harwich? we have living friends in the Hague and keep saying we will go see them,looking at whether the ferry is cheapest means of getting there.
won't see you on sunday as its dads 85th b/day but hopefully catch up in july if its still on

Sig
I think Farnborough 4th July ride will be put back a bit as it looks like the Mouseketeers will be on a mission again. FNRttC followed by Dunwich Dynamo on the Saturday night :smile:

stevevw

Guru
Yes sorry. Put me down for the 18th too. I may even try to ride over and back this time, see how I get on with the Dunwich Dynamo first.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Day 10 - Tuesday 2nd June

Distance: 24.26 miles; time: 2:50:16; Average speed: 8.6 mph; Max speed: 18.2 mph; Calories (according to Garmin): 1347; total tour distance 448 miles.

So today was my day for travelling home. I came down to breakfast early and was out of the hotel by 8:15am. I purchased my train tickets to Venlo in Holland (best part of 30€) which included a 4,25€ ticket for the bicycle. The train arrived and I couldn't see the markings for the bicycle carriage so put the bike on the nearest one.

When the conductor turned up after a few minutes he asked me to move the bike to the bicycle carriage which was at the rear of the train. He said I'd have time to do this at Bonn so when we reached Bonn I got the bike out, and the panniers (I had taken them off to make the bike easier to manoeuvre), I then wheeled it down the platform dodging passengers who weren't looking where they were going, but then the platform cleared and I was worried the train would take off without me so I hopped onto the nearest carriage, which was in fact the front part of the final one. There was more room here but when the conductor arrived again he asked me to move, which I did at Köln. The final set of doors opened to a huge area for bikes which was excellent, with a very low doorway; it would have been nice to be there at the beginning but I didn't know where the carriage was.

The train journey to Düsseldorf was an hour and a half as the train stopped at lots of little stations along the way. Once we arrived at Düsseldorf I had 45 minutes until my next train, to Venlo, so I went to buy some food for lunch. Düsseldorf's lift is too small for my trike so I had to drag it down the stairs. I took the panniers off and carried it up the stairs to the correct platform, retrieving the panniers after I got it to the top. This was much easier than manhandling a tail-heavy trike and I wish I'd realised this beforehand. In fact, wheeling it around with the panniers on the seat, rather than on the rack, was much easier; firstly because the weight was over the two wheels so it was lighter to wheel, and secondly because the panniers were so wide they kept the handlebars straight so it followed much more easily. My journey to Germany would have been much easier if I'd known that at the time!

The train from Düsseldorf to Venlo was the same sort as on my journey out, so the conductor disconnected the pole between the door. The bike area was larger than before, however, so it was easy to stow the trike.

I had 20 minutes at Venlo to buy my Dutch tickets (one for me, one for the trike) to Rotterdam which came to 30€. I had to change platforms but the station attendants led me and a couple of people with prams across a crossing point on the tracks, rather than up and down stairs. They also showed me to the right part of the train to Rotterdam which was very spacious.
File

Well, until thousands of young people got on at Eindhoven. They had been at the Pinkpop festival and had huge bags, tents and stuff. They had all their luggage strewn around the carriageway and were lying on it on the floor - also lying partially on my trike and bending the mudguard out of shape. I told them off but they pretended not to understand me, although a Dutch lady said to me after they got off at Breda that they had understood, they were just trying to look cool.

From Rotterdam I made use of my bicycle for the first time that day as a mode of transport. The lady on the train had told me that the cycle path to Hoek van Holland was very well signposted the whole way. She was partly - but not totally - correct. I had a route on my bike satnav as well but it was a different route (one I'd got off the internet) so wasn't always helpful when I lost the way due to disappearing signage. But I had oodles of time as my Dad had booked my ferry crossing for me and embarkation was between 7pm and 9pm and I left Rotterdam at 2pm.
File

I faffed around in Hoek van Holland for a bit, buying a replacement mirror for my trike and some food to eat for the evening (the restaurants on the ferry are very expensive). I was one of the first onto the ferry and went straight to my room, having my first shower for 10 days without washing my clothes too. I went to sleep at 9pm, tired after all the travelling.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Day 11 - Wednesday 3rd June

Distance: 15.63 miles; time: 1:18:10; Average speed: 12.0 mph; Max speed: 26.9 mph

So... I woke up and looked out of the window across to the Shotley peninsula. Yes, we were docked at Harwich. I collected my trike, disembarked and then cycled the fifteen miles home along the A120 (fast route rather than scenic country lanes). It was rather enjoyable to be able to go fast on the road and not weave my way around a cycle path.

I stopped off for some milk in Wix and found various people chatting to me - perhaps it was the early hour and they were feeling friendly as they went to fetch their newspapers, or perhaps it's that they don't see a laden recumbent tricycle with German and British flag on it very often.

Anyway, I got home safe and sound, set off all my cycling clothes to wash and played catch-up on the computer.

Overall I've really enjoyed the cycling holiday, saw some fab scenery and ate some good food. I didn't spend all my cash and didn't even have a puncture. I hope to do another tour in the near future but for more than a few days I think I need to tag along with a group!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Thank you Cathryn.

There were times when, as I struggled with the floppy panniers with all the contents in binbags inside, that I thought I should have taken you up on the loan of the Ortliebs!

However James's £20 bright red panniers lasted the course (although he may have a moan when he sees how scuffed they are). Perhaps I can ask him for some decent panniers for Christmas, assuming I will do another tour in due course. Might even do one before that.

Feeling like I'm missing the bike rather (it's only in the shed!) so think I will go out for a longer ride today. I got so used to the routine of breakfast, cycle, lunch, cycle, stop, that yesterday's 15 miles just doesn't feel far enough.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Well the ortliebs are there if you need them. I'm hoping to get a week somewhere in July or September but they're yours otherwise.

It's quite hard to get out of the routine, isn't it. Be careful to get out of the calorie loading :angry:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Today (my first full day at home) I decided to cycle to Manningtree for some groceries on my 20 mile loop via Wix. As I approached Wix I saw a chap on a touring bike looking at a map with a puzzled expression. I asked if he needed any help and he said he was going to Portsmouth and looking for a good route there. For some reason I thought he was from Denmark and talked to him a fair bit - his English was reasonable. I thought his map was rather unhelpful as it was a very large scale map with only motorways and A-roads but he said similar maps had got him fine through Holland. I asked where he had come from and he said Augsburg. Not Denmark after all!

So we switched to German, which surprised him greatly that this random passer-by woman could speak it, and had a nice chat about cycle touring for about half an hour. I recommended that he went to Danbury (south of Maldon) for his campsite today as he said he likes to do about 60-70km in a day. I started trying to describe the route and in the end offered to cycle with him to Tiptree, which he seemed to think was a top idea.

So off we pootled the 20ish miles from Wix to Tiptree, chatting all the while in German (his facility in English had mysteriously disappeared), and then he bought me a cream tea at the Wilkins & Sons jam factory (and also insisted on paying for a pot of jam I was buying for my husband). All very friendly, he was a very interesting chap who had previously cycled across Australia and the USA and was now cycling to Portsmouth and then getting the Ferry to France and going down the Loire valley, ending up in Bavaria again eventually.

When I set off home again after setting him off on the road to Maldon, it occurred to me that I had probably spoken more German today than in the entire previous 11 days of my tour. Ho hum! I did point out to him that, although this was his first visit to England, he shouldn't assume that any cyclist he randomly bumps into will speak German. How likely was that, after all! And that I had been cycling in his country the week before.

He also, by the way, said my German was 'Perfekt' (they are so polite!) although I could tell the longer we spoke, the worse it got. Perhaps it's a concentration thing but by the end it had turned into some weird form of Denglish, but we were chatting for the best part of 5 hours I suppose!

Anyway, the ride itself was 40ish miles and very enjoyable to ride in company for half of the way. And he, with his fully laden panniers, was slower than me up hills which was a nice change! And no, he didn't have Ortliebs, despite being German. But perhaps being Bavarian is different :laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
Today (my first full day at home) I decided to cycle to Manningtree for some groceries on my 20 mile loop via Wix. As I approached Wix I saw a chap on a touring bike looking at a map with a puzzled expression. I asked if he needed any help and he said he was going to Portsmouth and looking for a good route there. For some reason I thought he was from Denmark and talked to him a fair bit - his English was reasonable. I thought his map was rather unhelpful as it was a very large scale map with only motorways and A-roads but he said similar maps had got him fine through Holland. I asked where he had come from and he said Augsburg. Not Denmark after all!

So we switched to German, which surprised him greatly that this random passer-by woman could speak it, and had a nice chat about cycle touring for about half an hour. I recommended that he went to Danbury (south of Maldon) for his campsite today as he said he likes to do about 60-70km in a day. I started trying to describe the route and in the end offered to cycle with him to Tiptree, which he seemed to think was a top idea.

So off we pootled the 20ish miles from Wix to Tiptree, chatting all the while in German (his facility in English had mysteriously disappeared), and then he bought me a cream tea at the Wilkins & Sons jam factory (and also insisted on paying for a pot of jam I was buying for my husband). All very friendly, he was a very interesting chap who had previously cycled across Australia and the USA and was now cycling to Portsmouth and then getting the Ferry to France and going down the Loire valley, ending up in Bavaria again eventually.

When I set off home again after setting him off on the road to Maldon, it occurred to me that I had probably spoken more German today than in the entire previous 11 days of my tour. Ho hum! I did point out to him that, although this was his first visit to England, he shouldn't assume that any cyclist he randomly bumps into will speak German. How likely was that, after all! And that I had been cycling in his country the week before.

He also, by the way, said my German was 'Perfekt' (they are so polite!) although I could tell the longer we spoke, the worse it got. Perhaps it's a concentration thing but by the end it had turned into some weird form of Denglish, but we were chatting for the best part of 5 hours I suppose!

Anyway, the ride itself was 40ish miles and very enjoyable to ride in company for half of the way. And he, with his fully laden panniers, was slower than me up hills which was a nice change! And no, he didn't have Ortliebs, despite being German. But perhaps being Bavarian is different :blush:

Ich habe gern deine Geschichte. Typisch! Wem sagen Sie das. Willkommen Sie zuruck nach Hause :laugh:.

Top Bottom