Aussie eBike mayhem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There certainly seems to be a disconnect in that report between the video title that claims ebikes and escooters are landing people in hospital and the comments from the doctor that it's due to people forgetting how to drive. I think only one wrecked car is shown, but lots of people happily cycling and escootering, as well as the fool who steers their scooter into a tram track.

Any idea why they focus on lightweight mobility so much when drivers are being blamed? Did a cyclist run over the editor's foot?

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive certainly not seen any evidence that legal spec ebikes are landing people in hospital at an elevated rated compared to legal ones. Oz's power outputs and specs are comparable to here, so I just don't see it.

However, like over here there may be a bew cult of muppetry with people illegally gooning about on what are electric mopeds or motorbikes, and its conceivable that this sort of usage and behaviour might lead to a lot of ambulance rides.

But as for e scooters...

Any idea why they focus on lightweight mobility so much when drivers are being blamed? Did a cyclist run over the editor's foot?

In the 80's there was this big push by EC regulators to make leg protextors mandatory on motorcycles. Thisnis despite their being much evidence that while the may reduce leg injuries they instead tore riders in half at the waist and killed them.

This dragged on for a while and was looking quite serious, until it emerged that the wife of the senior EC officer trying to push these laws through had been caught in flagrante with a biker...

This was cracking on for 40 years ago and I forget the chumps name, but when it came out it was a source of much hilarity (not to mention concern at the power of unelected EC officers, but thats a discussion for the Phantom Zone). Rather embarrassingly, the MP Peter Bottom had been quite supportive of this rubbish.

Anyhoo, point being there quite often is an agenda driving biased, badly presented or simply vindictive drivel like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
certainly seems to be a disconnect
Yup, wonder if that's their dodgy editing with something key missed out. Hard to see eCycling a being popular/unpopular enough to work as clickbait though.
They can shove the eScooters up their rumps - at least until they make them assist only

gbb

Legendary Member
If you break it down to behaviour, yes, i see incredibly dangerous behaviour and the problem is, the perpetrator just (probably) isnt thinking, or isnt aware of the danger that's just around the corner.
I have to turn a 90 degree, blind corner on a footpath as i approach my house. Ive become ultra conscious when my grandkids are with me...stop when you get there is my constant call because escooters regularly rush past, they appear in a split second, you don't see or hear them coming and the worst of it is, they possibly don't realise the danger they represent.
I'd burn the lot of them :okay:
As an aside, i do believe driving standards have plummeted, everywhere you go you see poor driving nowadays.

Top Bottom