Auto correct/predictive text gone mad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't think it is just me as this appears to be getting more common in other posts from forum members I am reading on cyclechat. I initially thought it was just down to a daft update on my Kindle Fire as I don't suffer the same issues when using a Windows10 PC to post but the fact it seems to be affecting others makes me wonder if it is a forum software problem?

Just for example, here is a post I made earlier....
Are you not mistakenly confusing the condensation effect with the actual coldness?
Condensation is an indication of moist air and can occur when there is a temperature difference. It is likely that your fridge is as cold or colder than the shop drinks chiller but is just much less moist due to design and less regular opening of the door. Also, the wet cans may feel colder to the touch as the water droplets will help form a more efficient heat transfer to rob the heat from your hand and transfer it into the chilled can, thereby giving you a cold aching hand and beer that warms up more quickly than a dry can!

And here is the same post but without my proof reading corrections.....
***Are you not mistakenly confusing the condensation effect with the actual coldness?
Condensation is an indication of moist air and can occur when there is a temperature difference. It is likely that your fridge is as cold or colder than the shop drinks chilled but is just much less moist due to design and less regular opening of the door. Also, the wet cans may feel colder to the touch as the water droplets will help form a more efficient heat transfer to Rob the best from your hand and transfer it into the chilled can, thereby giving you a cold aching hand and beer that warms up more quickly than a dry can!***

That is not a particularly bad example, there have been cases where I have to correct multiple words in a sentence. Also, if I spot it when the word changes (after I insert the space) and then hit the backspace button
the word reverts back to the intended word as typed and the space does not delete :cursing:

It has got to the point where I have to carefully reread every post I make to check the predictive text function hasn't changed the correctly spelled and grammatically correct words for something that renders sentences completely meaningless! The annoying thing is that if I click back on the altered word when proof reading, the 1st suggested alternative is the one I originally typed so it knows what it has done and I know I haven't mistyped.

Is it the forum at fault or my Kindle (presumably using a variant of Android)? It is getting a bit tiresome now having to continually fight the software to prevent it making a dogs dinner of my carefully planned and perfectly executed literary masterpieces…...

What keyboard are you using? Assuming it's an on screen keyboard, you probably should see a notification like this when you are typing
_20180607_163708.JPG

And if you select it, it should be obvious what you are using

_20180607_163655.JPG

For the record SwiftKey works well, but there was an upgrade to Chrome a while back that broke it and they had to release a fix.

Katherine

Guru
For the record SwiftKey works well, but there was an upgrade to Chrome a while back that broke it and they had to release a fix.

Agree. I love SwiftKey It's learnt all the common phrases, names and places that I use. It corrects all my typos without me even noticing !

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What keyboard are you using? Assuming it's an on screen keyboard, you probably should see a notification like this when you are typing
View attachment 413061
And if you select it, it should be obvious what you are using

View attachment 413062

Ok, it is a kindle fire hd a couple of years old and seems to update automatically from time to time (for 'update' read, 'moves everything around, deletes all my favourite functions and breaks everything else'!)

No idea what keyboard it uses except it is on touchscreen and also don't know what browser. All stock as received and then whatever has been done by auto updates. How do I tell?

Katherine

Guru
I don't know but SwiftKey is an app that you can add on Android devices

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If the forum software can't cope with Android's standard keyboard, then the forum software is broken and needs to be fixed. Users shouldn't be forced down a TP App route.

And when I've worked the miracle of getting Xenforo to provide a good user experience I'll start work on Mark Zuckerberg's private garden, which had exactly the same problem.

Top Bottom