Autumn in the New Forest - 110km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Some Hampshire CC members couldn't make the recent North Hants ride because it was too far up and they get a nose-bleed past Basingstoke - I'm looking at you montage!xx(.

So, for all you Skates and Scummers (and anyone from London with the train fare) I'm proposing a South Hants ride, taking in Winchester, the Test Valley and a bit of the New Forest.

New Forest Loop

I'm up for suggestions about the route. One idea I've had is to extend the route to head down to Brockenhurst for a pub stop. This is a stunning stretch of road and well worth a detour.

Reasons for starting at Winch are:

• its got very good train connections in all directions, including that London,
  • we're out in the countryside almost immediately after the start and avoid any major roads
  • its purtee
  • there's a kebab shop opposite the station
  • its not far from my house
I'm looking at a Saturday or Sunday in early to mid-September, once the kids have gone back to school.

Post up if you're interested and we can set a firm date.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Yes Sir, ME ME ME sir! That means I would like to come, not that I have the disease!:sad: I would be up for getting the train down and perhaps cycling back afterwards or summat! How far would that be before I commit to that?:blush:

Have a look at the list of rides, in the "London and Home counties rides" thread. The October ride is up for grabs or you could just do an extra one in September, if you wished.:laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bollo, you crook your metaphoric finger and I'm there, you're just irresistable.

Barring natural disaster I'll be a definite, believe pub and kebab at end of ride, before catching the train, could be exquisite.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
djtheglove said:
Yes Sir, ME ME ME sir! That means I would like to come, not that I have the disease!:sad: I would be up for getting the train down and perhaps cycling back afterwards or summat! How far would that be before I commit to that?:blush:
That would be about 130 miles+ Deej, you untameable beast. Its worth having a look at the elevation profile of my proposed route, as there are a few tasty inclines to nibble at the stamina.
djtheglove said:
Have a look at the list of rides, in the "London and Home counties rides" thread. The October ride is up for grabs or you could just do an extra one in September, if you wished.:laugh:
I'll see if it slots in as it would be good to get a London contingent down. My only concern about going too late into the year is that there are sections of the ride that are fairly well-wooded (fnarr) and the leaf-drop can make some of the roads a might treacherous.

MacBludgeon said:
Bollo, you crook your metaphoric finger and I'm there, you're just irresistable.

Barring natural disaster I'll be a definite, believe pub and kebab at end of ride, before catching the train, could be exquisite.
untameable beast+1! While you're here MacB and clearly hungry for miles, might I recommend the IoW Randonnee this May. I'll be attending with a mate if you want to meet up and make it a kinky threesome.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Crackle said:
Where is this Winch place I can't find it on the map. I always thought you were in helicopter rescue.

Its a piece of equipment I require to get me up any incline steeper than 2% :smile:. 'Ze Virral' sounds like a spring classic.

Head-G. I did look at a route that dropped to Brockenhurst and then went back up via Lyndhurst, but couldn't quite make it work. It would be a shame to miss out the Bolderwood and Rhinefield drives though, so I'll have another look.

montage

God Almighty
I am in for this ride!!

I am also doing the isle of wight randonee - did a "race" (and yes I won :smile: )round the route with college friends the other day. Get your hill legs on for that ride - the only flat stretch I can remember was military road, which we did entirely into a strong headwind. Veeeeeeeeery hilly that IoW place.

Bollo said:
Its a piece of equipment I require to get me up any incline steeper than 2% :angry:. 'Ze Virral' sounds like a spring classic.

Head-G. I did look at a route that dropped to Brockenhurst and then went back up via Lyndhurst, but couldn't quite make it work. It would be a shame to miss out the Bolderwood and Rhinefield drives though, so I'll have another look.

Actually it was a serious question but it's finally clicked it's short for Winchester right? Which is too far for me to come down, though September might have been doable fitness wise as I complete yet another comeback.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
As a Hampshire lad born in Fordingbridge and having lived down there for my first 16 years this would be a nice trip down memory lane and subject to final date I would be up for this. Not sure how others are fixed but Sunday's are generally better for me.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
As a Hampshire lad born in Fordingbridge and having lived down there for my first 16 years this would be a nice trip down memory lane and subject to final date I would be up for this. Not sure how others are fixed but Sunday's are generally better for me.

You have a decent memory 4F ;) - I might run down for this one too - depends on work nearer the time etc - the usual. Nice part of GB though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Aperitif said:
You have a decent memory 4F :biggrin: - I might run down for this one too - depends on work nearer the time etc - the usual. Nice part of GB though.

oi cheeky ;):smile:

Top Bottom