1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by alecstilleyedye, 6 Jul 2007.

?
  1. forget them, we didn't need them in C+

100.0%
  2. use them, especially as they took them off us on biker*d*r

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

do we put them in (80px x 80px is hardly going to ruin the look of the place) or keep the C+ tradition of managing without?

2. electricdave

electricdave New Member

Do we have the option?
    Personally I don't mind avatars, but prefer them if they're static rather than animated.
    Can't stand picture sigs though.... they really would ruin the look of the board.

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Bear with me, I'm old...

What's an avatar? Is it like a profile pic? I don't mind if it's in the margin down the left, with the username and postcount etc. But not in the body of the text - like the sig pictures there were on Bike radar. That just gets in the way and looks messy to me...

4. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

We should remember that this is not C+. So maybe would could avatar away (if I knew what they were, how they worked or where you buy them :blush: )

5. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

Just click on Profile in the menu, and look at the bottom of the profile page. You can upload an Avatar image and it'll appear in the left side under your username.

PS. AFAIK I've disabled HTML in sigs so there shouldn't be any pics appearing. (Let me know if you find any!)

6. alecstilleyedye

spot on arch. if the vote goes the right way i'll be using the same one from C+, on bike, tongue stuck out)

7. electricdave

electricdave New Member

Hi Admin, I had a go at that, but got this error:

General Error

Unable to upload file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 236
    File : usercp_avatar.php

Does it have to be a certain filetype? (Mine's a gif file)

8. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Just tried....no particular plans to use one, but they can be amusing. Avatar must be less than 6kb (which limits choice) and less than 80x80 pixels (limiting choice ven further!)
    Nice to see a growing number of C+ ers making themselves comfortable!

9. mosschops2

mosschops2 New Member

How small does 80x80 work out?

I wouldn't mind them, as long as they were say max. as big as the "a" in Cyclechat in the logo. Or preferably slightly smaller.

Probably wouldn't bother with one, although may eventually for the hell of it, but either way, would not want them to become either intrusive, or a feature!!

10. Amanda P

Amanda P The CycleChat user formerly known as Uncle Phil

They'd have to be pretty small.

I tried to upload one and got:

Warning: copy(./images/avatars/738297038468e32cb6de8b.jpg): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/cyclechat/public_html/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 288

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/cyclechat/public_html/includes/usercp_avatar.php:28:8: in /home/cyclechat/public_html/includes/page_header.php on line 483

Whatever that means....

11. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

OK this one (see left, if this works) is 50x50 and 1.something kb.
    Ha ha. it din't work. I give up. Avatars? Who needs 'em!

12. alecstilleyedye

let me try this one…

13. alecstilleyedye

bugger :blush:

14. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

Okay, I'll look into this - obviously not working.

I'll try and download some gallery ones too so that you can just pick one if you've not got one to upload.

Might have to be after the weekend though, as I really need to get on with some work today :blush: :rolleyes:

15. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Trying again. If this don't work, I'm off to bike radar! :blush: