Average speed - improving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

The best way to understand how you are progressing is to keep a log of your rides. Most on here I suspect use a computer and download the data.

I keep a written log, and Just use an HR monitor. I keep a note of things such as;
Which bike Im riding/time of day/weather.
Route/distance/time/AVS.
HR details/calories burned/food Liquid consumed.(this includes before and after ride waking heart rate and recovery heart rate)
Incidentals of the rides i.e who I went with/any stops/hold ups,on my commute for instance that may affect my overall time,and generally anything of interest on the ride.

I find I can look back through my logs over years,this way,and remember each individual ride, except maybe some of the commutes. Its the most usefull tool I have.

Im sure someone will tell you of a computer which will do something similar,but I just like to keep it personal,and Im too long in the tooth to change now.:smile:

GrasB

Veteran
There is also what it actually took the person physically to achieve that time. When I went to the Alps late last year there was very little difference to my average speed than I would normally do on my commutes. Thing is though those times were off the back of near exhaustion rides where I knew I didn't have to do anything for the rest of the day. I also knew that after these rides I would have 3 or 4 days to recover before needing to cycle again so while the ave speed was high for the conditions it was hardly typical of what I could achieve if I was riding in that terrain every day.

jimboalee

I have a 'super-duper' MS Excel workbook which predicts the duration of the rides I do.

Every couple of weeks, I do a HR vs Wattage test at the gym.

After years of attending the gym and riding a bike, I have a good idea of the cadence that gives me lowest HR for any given absorption.

I enter the latest HR for 150 W at 78 rpm on one of the sheets and the whole workbook updates.

Previous values are saved against date.

The trend is favourable.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nothing wrong with setting yourself targets for improvement but it can mess up the enjoyment factor sometimes. I've always used rolling average, ie stops when you do, otherwise you can start doing stupid things to make up for delays. for a while I was trying to improve daily on my commute(40 miles round trip) but it didn't take long for the futility of that to sink in. I also recorded every bit of riding I did, even if just round to the shops.

Now I only record actual rides, utility stuff is ignored. I also ignore the computer, except for time as I don't wear a watch, and just record what's happened when I get home. This allows me to enjoy the ride itself more and stops me overdoing it.

A reasonable level to aim at is 15mph for rides up to about 60 miles and no lower than 13mph for really long stuff. I'm sure someone on here mentioned that a solo rider could achieve about 2/3 of a group ride. So, if you were serious, then look at the averages for pro events and, if it's 25mph for 120 miles then aim to do 16mph for the same distance. Really depends on what your goals are.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks again for the replies, really helpful. MacB, that sums it up nicely for me; I just want to have a general interest/feel for what I'm doing and see that there's some improvement over the long-term. However, determined not to ruin the enjoyment by getting too hung up on things. One of the beauties of cycling for me is at times it doesn't feel like exercise, but a way to enjoy the countryside. I often slow down to simply enjoy the surroundings. Also, there's times when I could go faster but I don't want to as I don't feel comfortable or safe doing so (for example, as I cycle purely for enjoyment and fitness, rather than racing, there's no reward for me in braving a descent at full pelt).

So I'm decided on getting a computer (Cateye Strada seems to be the most commonly recommended) but have promised myself not to look at it too much!

jimboalee

Willo said:
Thanks again for the replies, really helpful. MacB, that sums it up nicely for me; I just want to have a general interest/feel for what I'm doing and see that there's some improvement over the long-term. However, determined not to ruin the enjoyment by getting too hung up on things. One of the beauties of cycling for me is at times it doesn't feel like exercise, but a way to enjoy the countryside. I often slow down to simply enjoy the surroundings. Also, there's times when I could go faster but I don't want to as I don't feel comfortable or safe doing so (for example, as I cycle purely for enjoyment and fitness, rather than racing, there's no reward for me in braving a descent at full pelt).

So I'm decided on getting a computer (Cateye Strada seems to be the most commonly recommended) but have promised myself not to look at it too much!

Riding Audax 100km DIYs and MidMesh, my aim is to complete each section on a 20kmh average.
200s , 19kmh; 300s 18.5kmh; 400s 18kmh.

Not too demanding, leaving plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and have tea.
The challenge is to get the proofs as close as possible to the calculated control time.

On calendar events, my aim is to get round in less km than the routesheet. :girl:

e-rider

crappy member
the cateye strada is nice - i have one - but, if you want something with a bit more info have a look at the cateye adventure - quite expensive though

jimboalee

Have you got your computer yet?

I have a Cateye Velo 8 here with two mounts. One mount for 25.4 handlebars and a mount for 'oversize' bars.

I stopped using this computer because it didn't have a 'auto-stop/start' disabling feature. ie It was no good on Audaxes. It automatically stopped when the bike stopped.

Its got a kCals counter, which proved to be a load of bollocks and only gave a realistic ( NOT an accurate ) account when the bike was doing 25 mph, which by coincidence is the speed of an Elite raceboy.

Its going for free if you want it.

Crankarm

Guru
Sometines I don't believe what some people post ............. Of course average speed is going to be less if you measure it on your commute through a city where you might have to stop for traffic lights or give way to other road users rather than measuring it on an undulating 10 mile TT course with few or no junctions and little traffic to negotiate. I think this is blindingly obvious is it not????????

Surely the OP should be framing his thread question in a purely technical or physical context considering one's weight, increasing power output and stamina and riding a light and as aerodynamic bike as possible?

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Have you got your computer yet?

I have a Cateye Velo 8 here with two mounts. One mount for 25.4 handlebars and a mount for 'oversize' bars.

I stopped using this computer because it didn't have a 'auto-stop/start' disabling feature. ie It was no good on Audaxes. It automatically stopped when the bike stopped.

Its got a kCals counter, which proved to be a load of bollocks and only gave a realistic ( NOT an accurate ) account when the bike was doing 25 mph, which by coincidence is the speed of an Elite raceboy.

Its going for free if you want it.

Jimboalee, no I haven't got the computer yet. Spent some vouchers I had on a new helmet instead. I will take the Velo off you if you're sure you don't want it, but am happy to pay for it. Will send a pm, many thanks.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Sometines I don't believe what some people post ............. Of course average speed is going to be less if you measure it on your commute through a city where you might have to stop for traffic lights or give way to other road users rather than measuring it on an undulating 10 mile TT course with few or no junctions and little traffic to negotiate. I think this is blindingly obvious is it not????????

Surely the OP should be framing his thread question in a purely technical or physical context considering one's weight, increasing power output and stamina and riding a light and as aerodynamic bike as possible?

Cranarm, yes of course it's obvious and I'm fully aware there are many variables that will influence the average. However, many people quote average speed on here, and I was curious to know the basis of that - rolling average, or based on total time for the trip including stops at lights etc.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Jimboalee, no I haven't got the computer yet. Spent some vouchers I had on a new helmet instead. I will take the Velo off you if you're sure you don't want it, but am happy to pay for it. Will send a pm, many thanks.

Jimboalee, tried to PM you, but it told me you couldn't accept any new messages.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Willo, just head down to a local club 10, leave every thing on the road and then you will have your best measure of average speed. Probly more bragging points too :biggrin:

My average on my commute ranged from 12mph to 18mph, riding with approximatelly the same intensity day to day. Lights, and obsticles make a huge difference.

I dont look at my Garmin data for anything more than distance, unless on a interval training ride.

potsy

Rambler
I look at mine quite a lot in case I'm breaking the speed limit :biggrin: seriously I find them useful but only really use them to log my rides on MCL now,don't tend to need to know my speed all the time like I used to.
Good to know how you are improving,but don't use it to compare others averages as their route/bike/weight etc will all be different to yours.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Cranky, the guy's seeking information and encouragement, not a telling off. Over time he'll work out his own targets. routines, goals and redefine a lot of this on an ongoing basis. Getting some ballparks to begin with is perfectly understandable, even some of the ideas you may consider zany could turn out to suit him.

Top Bottom