Average Speed on your Folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu99

Über Member
I averaged 16.3 mph on a recent sportive (66 kms with 493m of climbing) - bike is a Dahon Mu (9-speed)

Kell

Veteran
That's impressive.

Managed 16.4 mph over a much shorter distance of 7.1 miles in London this morning.

Didn't set any pbs on any of the Strava segments, but it's still the fastest overall average on my Brompton.

image.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not much slower than on my steel road bike. But riding conditions tend to be different, the Brommie is used in more trafficy situations, and less open road. I use ridewithgps and it gives me a "moving average" figure, which (as I have grumbled many times before) is totally meaningless as an absolute measure of speed but it is useful for relative comparisons between rides. And the answer is "a bit slower than the steelie ... But sometimes a bit faster, if the Brompton ride is flat, and the other one is hilly"

Kell

Veteran
My average has just dropped by about 1mph pretty much everywhere after I got a 'C' bag.

Seems to act like an air brake when cycling into the wind, but doesn't have the opposite effect with a tailwind.

12boy

Guru
I really noticed the drag when I've used my Brompton Basket bag. When headed into a stout headwind it really does feel like a brake. However, it holds a hell of a lot so if I am toting a large load it is worth it.

kais01

Regular
normal commute, somewhat hilly 16 km distance 35-45 min depending on season, so around 25 kmh/15mph. passing untuned ebikes is generally not a problem.

on my two-speed with 69t chainwheel once a 90 km mostly solo ride part gravel 29kmh.

in a club ride 5 persons on their high-end racers and then me on my 2sp brommie we went 46 km 34.6 kmh/21.6mph. race at the end, came 4th.

so not super fast the brommie is nevertheless a fairly competent bike.

ukoldschool

My average speed on the commute to the station is 13mph as its got a steep hill at the end... the same journey on the way back averages 15mph

Top Bottom