Average Speed, What's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
How do you define average speed? Does it include all types of riding including to the shops, out with the family, riding to work, in town, out in the countryside, or just when trying to go fast.

Most people have several average speeds.

I am proud to say that I am so fast I can set off the 5mph warning signs along Cardiff Bay barrage.
I think a post of mine in another thread prompted this thread, somebody posted that you should be able to average 20mph, I thought this a bit high. So, I added up my last 24 rides, taking the daily average from RidewithGPS I then divided the total by 24 and got an average of 10.1mph. Half of my rides were on mountain bike and half on my touring bike. About half of the rides on my touring were loaded, typically for a weekend. All the mountain bike rides were day rides.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I think a post of mine in another thread prompted this thread, somebody posted that you should be able to average 20mph, I thought this a bit high. So, I added up my last 24 rides, taking the daily average from RidewithGPS I then divided the total by 24 and got an average of 10.1mph. Half of my rides were on mountain bike and half on my touring bike. About half of the rides on my touring were loaded, typically for a weekend. All the mountain bike rides were day rides.
Partially correct, started in an attempt to allow the other thread to continue.

Take the average speed posts to this thread.

Hills kill my average speed here but the lake rides are at least flat:

Wind and traffic are also against this game:ohmy:

johnblack

Über Member
I can ride at over 20mph on a rolling route solo for maybe a couple of hours. Put me in a group and that would be at lot longer, I’ve done 100 miles in 4.45.
With two mates who I ride with a lot and are all of a similar level, we managed 187 miles in 10 hours.
But most riding I do is a bit slower, it’s no fun just hammering it all the time.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not particularly bothered about speed but on my Brompton I usually averaged about 10mph but this could vary according to wind strength and direction.
On my trike I think I go faster but the display which came with the machine is only set to speed and distance and I have never bothered looking any further into it. Again wind has an influence.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
just under 15mph give or take, depending on the conditions.

CharleyFarley

8.4 mph on my fat bike, and 7.3 mph on my cruiser. I ride on sidewalks because the roads are too dangerous due to drunk and unlicensed and generally dangerous drivers. I generally have long waits at pedestrian-controlled lights, and there are quite a few of those on my long rides. I did reach a speed of 28 mph on my fat bike going down a long bridge, just one time, and it scared the heck out of me. Average speeds are probably a bit higher in the winter months when riding is more comfortable. It's too hot in Florida's summer months during the day.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I seem to average 12-14 mph these days if im going somewhere with a purpose but pootling about 8-10 mph as I'm looking for interesting things to photograph. I did hit 32 on a great hill this afternoon. Going down obviously. 😁

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not as fast as it used to be. Age is starting to take it's toll. Some years back my average was up around the 17-18mph. Now it seems to be down to 12mph on the last few rides.

Top Bottom