Average Speed, What's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday on the Etape Loch Ness, we averaged 16.7mph.

When they sent me the list of the participants and I realised there were more than 4000 people on that list, I decided to not go no and lose the money.

Regardless of what the government guidelines say and the fact it was an outdoors event, I'm still not comfortable in taking part in an event with so many people.

Hope you had fun!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cycling becomes much more enjoyable when you stop worrying about the numbers. Just enjoy the ride :becool:
Numbers become much more enjoyable when you use a bike to generate them. Just enjoy the stats:becool:

Daninplymouth

I’m in 16-18mph depending on the wind and route. 30-50milers. Set myself a new record today after my bike fit so was happy with that. When I first started cycling in lockdown I was at 14.2mph for this lap today done 18.3mph after a 35miler yesterday so pleased with that

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Enjoying most riding at 11-12 mph this year.
This mornings commute of 15 miles to my garden office was 11.5 mph.
A recent 94 mile ride was 11.6mph.

Only a couple of years ago I was haring around at 15-16 mph for most of my rides. My fitness levels are very different now.

It never felt healthy with my lungs gasping in litres of air and my heart romping away at nearly 200 (in my late 40s).
I think I need to regain some fitness but with a more structured and sensible training plan, nothing like how I used to ride.

Attachments

• 1629737505089.png
    1629737505089.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 6

Mike_P

Guru
I have started seeking to predict my average when around 6 miles from home as on the vast majority of routes the elevation goes upwards and the average tumbles; can be a grim set of slogs if the wind is on the wrong direction and some routes homeward are taken depending on the wind direction and the shelter they offer. There is a 2/3 mile climb that is usually sheltered from the wind. Yesterdays answer to just how far it would fall was 14.8.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
It depends how you measure it. Over my cycling lifetime of 52 years the distance from where I first put foot to pedal to where I am now is about17 miles, tonight it will have gone down to about 300 yards when I get home. Any one care to do the arithmetic?
You cycling backwards, given the drop in distance covered(17 miles down to 300 yards).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mine for the last fortnight
1629748222281.png

The shorter, slower rides were stop-start shopping trips on a Giant flatbar, the slower ride of the 20th was on & off road on a 29er, everything else was done on a mixture of road bikes, a Spa Elan or a Picknflick flatbar.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It depends how you measure it. Over my cycling lifetime of 52 years the distance from where I first put foot to pedal to where I am now is about17 miles, tonight it will have gone down to about 300 yards when I get home. Any one care to do the arithmetic?

You are 17 miles away from your childhood home, but when you get home you will only be 300 yards away from your childhood home.

Top Bottom