Average Speed, What's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It varies from about 13-18mph depending on the weather, the bike, and whether I'm on my own or with company. Fastest is alone in summer (no talking!).

When I used to be in a club that did good Sunday runs (not racers - they were sent off on their own run), the average, as measured by bike computer, was always 15.5mph. So that's a good brisk pace.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just remember which bike you are going out on. Oh I'll be back in an hour, no you wont, 15 miles on a road bike, maybe, not rough MTB'ing as that can take three hours.

Made that mistake once on a hot day with just 1 bottle.

vickster

Legendary Member
13-14 mph, suburban so traffic and lights, but pretty flat.
Hills…not so high :unsure:
Average speed is pretty meaningless, too many variables.
I’m happy if I feel I’ve had a good workout, whatever the numbers :okay:

potsy

Rambler
Since returning to cycling a few weeks ago after a long time away, I'm now up to the giddy heights of 11mph average for the commute to work :bicycle:

Probably only slightly slower than I was when I was a regular cyclist :whistle:

Sharky

Guru
Too many variables to give a single answer. I do keep an eye on average speed to monitor progress on my regular loops. On one of my hilly loops of about 12 miles, I was clocking about 11mph in the winter and now as the weather improves can get just over 14mph. One observation though, is that my best times have been on my SS (68" gear), which is nearly always faster than my geared bikes.

But as you probably gather from some of my other posts, I still ride the occasional 10 mile TT and on these events, I can just achieve 20mph.

Top Bottom