Average Speed, What's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Etrike ride

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
As others have said depends on the ride.
A weekend 50 - 100 miler is usually around 16mph on the road bike
5 mile commute closer to 18mph on another roadie.
If its an mtb ride with sprog 7mph ^_^

The commute is an interesting one though, as others have said. Depending on the shift im on and time of day a car journey can be 9 -12 mph average.
I used to pay attention to average speeds but nowadays map my rides for mileage and dont worry too much about average speed, too many factors to take into account and I just enjoy riding

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends very much which bike I'm on.

My ebike is the slowest, where I'm in the 13mph range. Anyone that regales you with tales of derring do while overtaking all and sundry on an ebike is talking out their exhaust.

My fastest is (or was, my health has taken a tumble this year) 18-19 on my Felt roadie.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Very much dependent on ride, bike and terrain:

Summer bike on the flat 16-17mph
Summer bike in the hills 13-14
Winter bike flats 15-16
Winter bike hills 13-14
Gravel bike on gravel 11-12

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Again depends on the ride, distance and elevation and the type of riding, Road or off road MTB.

My average on my 6.7 mile commute can range from 16-17.5mph and depends upon traffic and the 4 sets of traffic lights on my route. Sometimes I will put some effort in and my average will be in excess off 19mph.

If I’m riding longer rides with a friend or two then the average will depend on the speed of the slowest rider so this is often 15-16mph.

Off road MTB is completely different, my last couple of 30 mile rides have been around 9mph.

CXRAndy

Guru
Anything from 10 to 53 mph. Over what distance ? :tongue:

Too many variables, I've done solo 100milers at 17.5mph, club runs 80 miles at 19mph, TOC 80 miles at 21.3mph (IN THE PAST)

These days I like 12-14mph tourer/shopper geared for 21mph on the flat at 100rpm

Average . :whistle:

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends. Commute- 13-14mph is my average. Social ride with friends 15-16mph depending on route and friends. Time trialling- 20mph+, again depending on length and route. Weather also plays a part.
Yesterday on the Etape Loch Ness, we averaged 16.7mph.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Depends mainly on how much climbing involved

Around the Peak District it will be 14mph as a 40 mile ride will involve 4,000ft of climbing. Even the pros who ride around here don't do more than about 18mph on this type of ride

Flat rides in Cheshire will be around 18mph

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom