Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well you lot are all waaaay quicker than me. My moving average last year over the 12,000 miles was about 11mph. I sped up a bit at the beginning of this year but have slowed down again now I've rediscovered the joys of chocolate and cake.

Still, I'm not riding to get anywhere particularly quickly. Good thing, too!

GrasB

Veteran
OT but kinda seems like the right place to ask - Is a recumbent trike faster than an normal bike on the flat?

mark barker

GrasB said:
OT but kinda seems like the right place to ask - Is a recumbent trike faster than an normal bike on the flat?
Not when I'm riding it! :tongue: It is far more comfortable though, and a decent pace is much easier to achieve over a long distance.

squeaker

Über Member
What bike, what trike?

GrasB said:
IME, depends on what's being compared with what :eek:
Cat 700 vs MTB = 'yes'
Trike T vs flat barred road bike = 'no'
YMMV, of course :biggrin:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
GrasB said:
Little bit faster on the flat, significantly slower uphill (heavier, and unable to put your bodyweight on the pedals), significantly faster downhill (heavier, more stable, no worries about braking heavily).

Overall, I find that the equivalent rider will average about the same speed, but there'll be an elastic-band effect on the hills.

GrasB

Veteran
Ben Lovejoy said:
Little bit faster on the flat, significantly slower uphill (heavier, and unable to put your bodyweight on the pedals), significantly faster downhill (heavier, more stable, no worries about braking heavily).
As a rider that can go up hill as fast spinning out at 100rpm as grinding it out of the saddle at 60rpm it'll be interesting climbing then.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You should give one a go, GrasB. Come and try out my trice if you wish - it's fairly flat around here but there are a couple of hills that tempt the granny ring.

Top Bottom