Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

bonj said:
don't believe anyone who claims that their average is over 20mph. They're bullshitting. Either they're Lance Armstrong, or they live in a velodrome. What they mean is, they often glance at their speedo and it's saying their current speed is over 20mph. So while it could be possible at a push that their modal speed is 20mph, there's no way that the mean is that.

I've never been overtaken, and I average 12mph, on a road bike, but I overtake everyone else.

Judging by the speed these people do, I'd say the national average was less than 10mph.

on the road

Über Member
Well I've never been overtaken by anyone averaging 12mph on a bike, nor am I likely to be.

OP
OP
caz

caz

It's so reassuring to know that some of you guys struggle on hills too! ;) I thought it was just me :biggrin: So I guess I'm doing ok speedwise - for my age and gender.

Smeggers

on the road said:
Well I've never been overtaken by anyone averaging 12mph on a bike, nor am I likely to be.

Its the difference between mean averages and modal averages thats why.

Mortiroloboy

caz said:
It's so reassuring to know that some of you guys struggle on hills too! :tongue: I thought it was just me :biggrin: So I guess I'm doing ok speedwise - for my age and gender.

Loads of people suffer on hills, it does get easier though, last year what I considered a hill is now a mere slope and, I can now get up most 'hills' but I do have a mind over matter issue to address, whereby I will get say 3/4 of the way up a particularly steep hill, say 18-20% run out of gears, my lowest being 34/25 on both my bikes, then I just climb off and either walk or rest a bit before attempting the final climb, which is frustrating and means if I'm on a club run people will have to wait, which I appreciate, but dislike doing because I feel I am slowing the others down.

Time to 'fess up...I have just gone back into my Polar CS 200 CAD files, and my average speed as recorded by the computer has been 15.04mph for the last 3 rides.

cyclebum

Hi Caz, as a fellow female fast approaching your age I would say your doing really well IMHO. I have been at this almost a year now and deliberately trying to get faster and stronger for a challenge I have undertaken, but a few months ago I seemed to be getting slower. I had some wonderful advice and encouregement from this lot here as your probably finding yourself now. But when it came to distance I was advised by a few to ease back and not push so hard. Next ride out I only had the milage reading and not the average (I deliberatley ignored it) and although it was hard at times I just tried to take it easy. I completed 30 miles (cut short as my gears were playing up) and actually had my best average distance speed of 12.5.

I set off on my challenge next week and once I get back I am looking forward to enjoying the cycling and leaving the obsessions behind. I am looking forward to enjoying my suroundings more rather than head down and move those pedals. As a matter of course by amount you appear to cycling you will be improveing. Perhaps just test yourself once in a while to satisfy yourself. ;):smile:

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks for the encouragement, cyclebum! I really enjoy getting out on my bike, just wish I could get out every day. I have a set route that I do once in a while and it is encouraging to see how much fitter and faster I'm getting! Certainly some of the "hills", which at first used to have my heart pounding and me gasping for air, seem easier now, so I know I'm definitely getting fitter.

Hope you do well on your challenge next week.

on the road

Über Member
Smeggers said:
Its the difference between mean averages and modal averages thats why.
You mean average average;)

frog

Caz, you're not doing very well - you're doing extremely well! You're doing the same average as me and I've been doing 120 miles a week for for 4 years.

Chief thing is: Are you enjoying yourself? There are benefits both physically and psychol . . in your head. We both must have genes for flat lands because I too can roll along very nicely on the flat with no problem but even hills I can't actually detect with my eyes will slow me down.

:biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

Average speed, despite all the factors which affect it, IS the best way to monitor your progress. A one-off average speed isn't much help, but if you keep a note of it over time, you'll see how you've progressed. Personally I did so for a year and it was satisfying to see the measured improvement. Now I've plateaud(sp?) a bit and don't bother so much, just put in as much effort as I want to. Still get to work all the same.

Chris James

Über Member
Abitrary said:
I've never been overtaken, and I average 12mph, on a road bike, but I overtake everyone else.

Judging by the speed these people do, I'd say the national average was less than 10mph.

I am always baffled by people's supposed average speeds. I overtake more often than I am overtaken (can only recall being overtaken once in the last couple of years - going up Holme Moss - and by someone who looked a very strong rider) although I tend to cycle fairly secluded reoutes on the local moors so don't see that many people really!

I average about 13mph on runs up to about 40 miles. Slower if longer runs as I tend to stop at some point.

But I live in very hilly part of the country. Uphills I can be doing as low as 4 mph, typically 7mph. I may do 30 downhill (windy roads make it difficult to go faster than this). This averages out as 11 miles per hour to go up and down the hill as I am going at teh slow speed for very much longer than I hit my top speed.

But if I am on the flat I can trundle along at 16 - 18 mph without much effort.

So terrain make such a massive difference that it is pretty much impossible to compare speeds except to people cycling similar routes to yourself.

As long as everyone isn't overtaking you then you can assume you are going at a reasonable lick!

cyclebum

I must say the slightest rise in the road ahead makes me gulp, but once I decided to really give it a go I set myself the challenge of 1 of our smaller local hills (and I do mean hill!) no matter how many attempts it took. My first attempt I got about 3/4 of the way up before having to set up the oxygen tent at the side of the road. Just as I was recovering an old guy went flying past.( When I say old, I'm no spring chicken but this guy made me feel like a teenager!!! ) Not to be beaten I got back on my bike and made the rest of the hillxx( Next time out I remembered this old man and made it up in 1. Its not a pretty sight, I'm a slow plodder and breathe so loadly I would put a 50 a day smoker to shame, but what a feeling at the top (once back out of the oxygen tent that is!). I must say I have not tackled any since my op, at at the moment I am taking no chances even though it should be no problem but just wait till I get back.:biggrin::smile:
By the way one thing that helped tremendoulsy was switching tyres to slicks, if you havent done so already it may be worth the investment. :ohmy:

byegad

Legendary Member
I average around 12 mph for most of my rides. I get overtaken regularly by members of our local road club, Ferryhill Wheelers and others. I pass some older riders and MTBers as well as casual cyclists.
Average speed on a 'normal' bike computer is the mean, other averages, median and mode will give different values for a ride, but won't make you any faster or slower! However they may sound better, or worse.
Riding in a well disciplined group can give your average speed a real boost, I managed 15mph over a very flat 45 miles in such a group, I was far fresher after that ride than I had any right to be. I doubt I could manage the same ride solo at more than 13mph, even for a large sum in cash!

col

Legendary Member
I think iv mistaken the average bit?When i say i averaged 20mph,i mean my computer didnt go below that ,on my circuit,and my circuit was between ten and fifteen miles,depending which one i did.sorry,didnt mean to sound faster than it was:blush:

Top Bottom