Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

This thread has prompted me to check my average speed for all rides last year - 24kph, which covers rides from 5km to 600km. So "not fast".

Noodley said:
This thread has prompted me to check my average speed for all rides last year - 24kph, which covers rides from 5km to 600km. So "not fast".

You keep records of all your rides? I'm impressed.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well my average not surprisingly is down to 15-16mph on my commute, which ain`t that flat. It should be better come spring however, to the OP using the average speed is a good indicator and judge of how your doing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I keep records - used to do it manually - before computers (well had a spectrum) but log it on my PC - in excel....why cos I bit the bullet in December 2006 to get back out a lot, then got into commuting again by bike in August.

My averages are plus 17 mph on hilly terrains - yep did Holme Moss and back 47 miles at an average of 17.5 but I'd never have managed it earlier this year because I wasn't riding enough...

Commuting again by bike has had huge effects to me, yep I've been properly into road bikes for 22 years, but the last 8 were restricted due to work.... job change, car on drive and I bike it.... only 8 miles each way, but make it pay.... heavy MTB but I give it some and use what time I have to get the best out of the run... get a free bit of road, get the speed up, get some heavy traffic bits, use it as recovery, then give it some later....

This commuting lark (OK not in heavy city traffic) can be used like interval training...without thinking about it ! I used to suffer really badly as a younger person with commuting in town, stop start...massive lactic acid build up... but as a 'nearly 40 fella (ish)' it' not been too bad - that might be age or miles on the bike....

gbb

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
I must say the slightest rise in the road ahead makes me gulp, but once I decided to really give it a go I set myself the challenge of 1 of our smaller local hills (and I do mean hill!) no matter how many attempts it took. My first attempt I got about 3/4 of the way up before having to set up the oxygen tent at the side of the road. Just as I was recovering an old guy went flying past.( When I say old, I'm no spring chicken but this guy made me feel like a teenager!!! ) Not to be beaten I got back on my bike and made the rest of the hillxx( Next time out I remembered this old man and made it up in 1. Its not a pretty sight, I'm a slow plodder and breathe so loadly I would put a 50 a day smoker to shame, but what a feeling at the top (once back out of the oxygen tent that is!). I must say I have not tackled any since my op, at at the moment I am taking no chances even though it should be no problem but just wait till I get back.:smile::smile:
By the way one thing that helped tremendoulsy was switching tyres to slicks, if you havent done so already it may be worth the investment. :biggrin:

The hills are the same for everyone at first...bl00dy hard.
You can mix it up a bit on your ride...sometimes i take it steady on the flat, then honk it on the 'hills' (such as they are here), then recover at the top by pedalling steady until you get your breath back. Its good training, makes you stronger. I can top out hills now at maybe 14 - 16 mph...sometimes 19mph if conditions are right... where it used to be 9 or 10mph.
Or sometimes i pace myself uphill, try to stay in the seat and find a rhythm....

But most of the time i just go hell for leather all ride :ohmy:...15 miles or 40 miles....just go all out (within reason)

frog

I've got the last 950 rides recorded (sad git)

However, it was useful when I got progressively sicker a year or so ago. If I'd have been able intepret the data right in front of my nose I wouldn't have finished up face down in my dinner.

Now I know what to look for so next time I might at least last until I've finished my pudding :ohmy:

Abitrary

col said:
I think iv mistaken the average bit?When i say i averaged 20mph,i mean my computer didnt go below that ,on my circuit,and my circuit was between ten and fifteen miles,depending which one i did.sorry,didnt mean to sound faster than it was:angry:

I forgive you on behalf of everyone else.

Can't you set a button before you set out, that gives you an average at the end?

col

Legendary Member
Probably,but i just used to try and keep above that,it doesnt have big hills so after a while i was able to stay up there,i didnt increase distance,just tried to do it quicker.

Abitrary

col said:
Probably,but i just used to try and keep above that,it doesnt have big hills so after a while i was able to stay up there,i didnt increase distance,just tried to do it quicker.

Hang on... your average speed should ideally be the one that you end up with after the ride... rather than the one you try to do.

This should be explained in the booklet that comes with the computer?

col

Legendary Member
Thats what im saying,it wasnt my average speed over a lot of miles,it was the speed i tried to keep to on my little circuits.

gbb

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Is that the difference between the modular and the mean that bonj was explaining about then?

I guess (and i am guessing) modular is any particular section of your ride...and mean is the overall average.
I have one section, a nice flat country road from Weldon to Oundle, where i can maintain 19 to 23 mph for maybe 4 or 5 miles. Its quite extraordinary...i cant do that anywhere else...perhaps it is imperceptably downhill...but that makes my average for that 'sector' about 20mph.
But i still dont think of that as a realistic average...its not. The overall (i assume 'mean') average is what counts.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Is that the difference between the modular and the mean that bonj was explaining about then?

col said:
not sure?

sounds like it, yes.
consider the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5.
the mean is (1+2+3+4+5+5+5+5)/8 because there are 8 numbers, i.e. 30/8 = 3.75.
The mode is 5.0, becaue that number occurs 4 times, all the others occur only once.

Top Bottom