average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisitalia

hi all this is my first post on CC as im just begining cycling. i just wondered if anyone could tell me the average time for a 10 mile cycle just so i can gauge how well, or otherwise i am progressing?? any other distance / times welcome also! thanks all!!

noadapter

best time was 36 minutes for 10 miles

caz

Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of helpful people here. No doubt someone else will be along shortly to give you more help!

Regarding average time for time 10miles - it will depend a lot on your own fitness and the type of bike you're riding. When I first started cycling 3 years ago I wasn't very fast at all (or fit) and probably averaged about 10mph on my hybrid. I am now a lot fitter, have a road bike and cycle a lot further without feeling shattered at the end of it. I now average 15mph on a short ride (up to 15-20 miles) and between 12-14mph for longer rides (over 35 miles). I reckon I do 10 miles in about 40 mins. I can do 15 in an hour or just under.

You just need to get out and do what you feel comfortable with, and increase your mileage over the weeks and you will see your fitness improve!

What sort of riding are you doing, chrisitalia?
On my hilly commute pootling around on average its around 13 mph or 45 mins
The best I've done on the flat on a road bike is around 25mph (24min). On average on the road bike I think it'd be around 16.5 mph for a hilly route (35min), there's not many flat routes around here.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
1hr. Depends on a lot of things of course. There are people that are a lot slower than this (although apparently not on this forum where incredibly high average speeds are routinely posted).

:biggrin:

Neilwoo123

Just worked this mornings run on mapmyride.com did 14.83 miles in 57 mins and I am well chuffed! Just to note it was a pretty flat run only 203 feet assent/decent.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hello and welcome to the group. 1stly an average speed would depend on many variables, such as bike type, tyre type, terrain, weather conditions, etc, etc, etc. At the end of the day IMHO an average speed is not worth bothering measuring. What is important is how YOU feel and what you want to achieve. You don't want to finish a ride needing medical attention but at the same time finishing a 10 miler and looking as though you have walked around your lounge would probably be of no benefit to you either. Time yourself by all means but do not get hung up on the time. Push yourself but do not hurt yourself. Most importantly, ENJOY!!!!!

;)

chrisitalia said:
hi all this is my first post on CC as im just begining cycling. i just wondered if anyone could tell me the average time for a 10 mile cycle just so i can gauge how well, or otherwise i am progressing?? any other distance / times welcome also! thanks all!!

yello

Welcome! There'll be a wide range of answers because there are many types of riders on the forum, riding different sorts of bikes on all manner of different routes etc.

Riding a bike is about you, how you feel etc. What others do doesn't matter a tosh.

It's not worth me going out to do 10 mile because it takes me longer to change into my kit than it does to do the ride ;);):biggrin:;):smile:;)

jimboalee

+1 on AngelfishSolo.

What bike is it? How tall are you? What is the combined weight of you and the bike?
These three factors should be enough to estimate a reasonable Cd, but 0.95 is about what an average person on an average bike will be.

Using this, and assuming the average cyclist could put out 120 Watts for ten miles, they should be doing 15 miles per hour.

So, 40 minutes will be your initial target.

I must add to this post, doing personal time trials on the open road is not wise, because as you get faster, you will take more risks until one day you will dodge past one car too far and ….prang L

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
jimboalee said:
What bike is it? How tall are you? What is the combined weight of you and the bike?
These three factors should be enough to estimate a reasonable Cd, but 0.95 is about what an average person on an average bike will be.

Using this, and assuming the average new cyclist could put out 120 Watts for ten miles, you should be doing 15 miles per hour.

I must add to this post, doing personal time trials on the open road is not wise, because as you get faster, you will take more risks until one day you will dodge past one car too far and ….prang L

What are you talking about, what is Cd? Where does this 15mph thing come from, I see it quoted in books but seems very far removed from reality. I don't doubt some people starting off achieve that but you're absolutely mad if you think the average person plucked out of the population could do that on day 1 or 2. The people that can are substantially above average. If you really think the average person can do 15mph on day 1, that means I'm several years off beginner level and have been cycling for a negative number of years!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks very much for the +1 but the maths has me confused.

I take it that Cd = coefficient of drag and you are using Watts in the context of Watts per Kg. If this is so the formula (if it can be called that) still is incomplete and in all honesty meaningless. The steepness of one incline along a route would have more impact on an average speed than your proposed calculations.

jimboalee said:
+1 on AngelfishSolo.

Using this, and assuming the average new cyclist could put out 120 Watts for ten miles, you should be doing 15 miles per hour.

gbb

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
What are you talking about, what is Cd? Where does this 15mph thing come from, I see it quoted in books but seems very far removed from reality. I don't doubt some people starting off achieve that but you're absolutely mad if you think the average person plucked out of the population could do that on day 1 or 2. The people that can are substantially above average. If you really think the average person can do 15mph on day 1, that means I'm several years off beginner level and have been cycling for a negative number of years!

Partly true...
Ive always found my average speed never changed much, but the distance i could maintain that speed has increased enormously.
8 years ago, i could probably do 13mph over 10 miles on a road bike, but was cream crackered at the end....
Now (well last year anyway, i havnt done that much this last year)..i can average 16 mph over 40 miles.
Theres an awfu lot of effort and miles got to go into upping the average by a mph or two....an awful lot, but its pleasureable at the same time.

Dont be disheartened OP...dont compare yourself too much with the figures quoted here....it takes time (unless you're young ;)) and whatever you achieve, you'll be fitter than you were when you started.

Oh, and in answer to the main question...about 38 mins for 10 miles on a good day

jimboalee

Ok.

Starley decided on a 52” gear for two reasons.

1/ It represented the most popular size Penny Farthing, and
2/ The fully clothed, untrained, raw beginner could keep 12.5 mph, at 100 Watts output at 80 cadence for an enjoyable afternoon bicycle ride.

Nowadays, we buy lighter bikes with higher gears than 52”, and wear cycling specific clothes that are much lighter than a tweed suit.

The early responses to the OP’s question were 28 and 36 minutes for ten miles. Tell me how this helps the OP?

I said, “40 minutes will be your initial target.”

I am presuming the OP will be riding a circular route, in which case, wind speed and hills won’t make much difference to riding a flat road in the calm.

The OP asked for our estimations of an ‘average’ time, so I can only presume the OP regards themself of ‘average’ fitness. ????

Top Bottom