average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
10 miles - 1 hour maybe ?
It depends if your on a Trainer or a flat 10 mile road.
Certainly around here there are too many hills to average 15mph

mrfacetious

Veteran
i agree with downward on that, I'm surprised not many have mentioned hills. Maybe it's being taken that it was a flat road for 10 miles. I'm not the fastest but my 10 mile run goes over two very large valleys and takes me 50 minutes. But it's murderous. I'd say that a good speed is whatever you feel you've worked hardest to achieve. Sounds a bit cheesy but you'll always get faster. If you want a bit of competitive fun try racing somebody else you know? Just an idea.

Downward

Guru
I have done Bottom Of Clent (Nimmings Road A456) to bottom of clent going down the A456 towards Hagley (40mph Downhill) Turn off at the Aston Martin Garage up to Lower Clent and then a long slog up the hill to the top of Nimmings Road Car Park.
Then back down the hill to the start - 10 miles ish 1 hour.

jimboalee

Hatton through Warwick to Land Rover Gaydon. 12 miles. 40ish minutes on SWorks. 45ish mins on Dawes Giro 500. 50ish minutes on Apollo County & 55ish minutes on BSA 20.

What I'm suggesting is a moderately fit newbie could keep up with me when I'm riding 36 lb of Halfords Apollo County with a Sturmey 3 speed which has a 71 inch top gear.

Jimboalee - You keep saying hills make no difference but they do. Yes all things even out and for a trained rider they will be able to carry on as normal once off the hill. For those of us less trained, hills make a treemendous difference. If I've been kicking out 130 for 10 miles and then hit a hill where I have to kick out 250 for 10 minutes, then I've used up a fair percentage of my glycogen reserves which means I might not be able to kick out 130 when I'm back on the flat. It just depends how much cycling conditioning you've been doing?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm inclined to agree with jimboalee. However many hills or flat I seem to average more or less the same speed. On the other hand you could say I've been doing a lot more 1.0 or >1.0 grades when I used to do things like 0.1s so that's an improvement. Who knows.

Will1985

Über Member
Average - 24 mins (time trialling :biggrin:). I'll go faster on a good day. On a road bike, I'd say around 28/29 mins.

Downward said:
I have done Bottom Of Clent (Nimmings Road A456) to bottom of clent going down the A456 towards Hagley (40mph Downhill) Turn off at the Aston Martin Garage up to Lower Clent and then a long slog up the hill to the top of Nimmings Road Car Park.
Then back down the hill to the start - 10 miles ish 1 hour.

I'm confused - Nimming's road doesn't look like it joins the A456. We sometimes use the A456 on club rides for a 50km/h blast up and down between Hagley Wood Lane and the velodrome roundabout.

marinyork said:
I'm inclined to agree with jimboalee. However many hills or flat I seem to average more or less the same speed. On the other hand you could say I've been doing a lot more 1.0 or >1.0 grades when I used to do things like 0.1s so that's an improvement. Who knows.

Depends on the hills:-

20 mile course 4, 12-15 minute 8-10 % hills. Ave 13.7mph
24 mile course rolling short hills but continuous, ave 14.5mph
Flat 20 mile course ave 16.5 mph
Flat 40 mile course ave 16mph

marinyork

Crackle said:
Depends on the hills:-

20 mile course 4, 12-15 minute 8-10 % hills. Ave 13.7mph
24 mile course rolling short hills but continuous, ave 14.5mph
Flat 20 mile course ave 16.5 mph
Flat 40 mile course ave 16mph

Hmmm that kind of confirms what I mean your 20 and 24 mile ones are more or less the same average speed. There is no flat route round here though of that length, heck even 20 miles. I grade my hills. A 1.0 is 1000ft per 10 miles. So if I did 60 miles and climbed 6000ft that'd be a 1.0 if it was 3000ft it'd be a 0.5 and so on. That is pretty normal round here for a 1.0. Hills can be anything upto 20% although are more like 10 or 12% a fair bit of the time. I used to cycle places that were 10 or more times flatter than here.

Aye, but with no flat route as a comparison you haven't got a true picture. Jimboalee seems to be saying that the overall up/down elevation makes no difference to Ave speed but my experience says it does.

For the same amount of training I can do 20 miles with big climbs or 40 miles flat but not 20 miles climbing and 20 miles flat. Well I could but I would be flagging badly at the end.

Also, 20% climbs are really starting to create a lot of lactic acid and that takes a good few miles, once the climbings over, to get out the system; again for the same given amount of training.

punkypossum said:
On an undulating route on a mountain bike with semi-slicks about 45mins to 50mins...an hour if I'm really taking it slowly ... :smile:

Yeah but it doesn't actually matter what bloody speed you do. You, for instance, have more than proved your credentials with the rides you do, including your 100 which is 30 more than my longest day.

....and besides. You've got that chain to preserve :biggrin:

marinyork

punkypossum said:
On an undulating route on a mountain bike with semi-slicks about 45mins to 50mins...an hour if I'm really taking it slowly ... :biggrin:

Yeah but you're fast.

Crackle said:
Aye, but with no flat route as a comparison you haven't got a true picture. Jimboalee seems to be saying that the overall up/down elevation makes no difference to Ave speed but my experience says it does.

For the same amount of training I can do 20 miles with big climbs or 40 miles flat but not 20 miles climbing and 20 miles flat. Well I could but I would be flagging badly at the end.

Also, 20% climbs are really starting to create a lot of lactic acid and that takes a good few miles, once the climbings over, to get out the system; again for the same given amount of training.

Absolutely I have no comparison just when I was cycling in the vale of York which is upto 50 times flatter than round here. I'd have to go out into Lincolnshire to see really. A few miles to get rid of lactic acid? It isn't flat for long enough!

I found an interesting chart about gearing, gradients and power but I can't find it anymore, made interesting reading.

Crackle said:
Yeah but it doesn't actually matter what bloody speed you do. You, for instance, have more than proved your credentials with the rides you do, including your 100 which is 30 more than my longest day.

....and besides. You've got that chain to preserve :biggrin:

Crackle, what would I do without you!?! :smile::smile:

Top Bottom