Avid BB7-MTN with drop brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm currently building a Surly Long Haul Trucker commuter bike, I picked up the Avid BB7_MTN version of their disc brakes which come on the complete build of this same frame. See here:

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker/bike_specs

I wanted to pair these with the RL520's brake levers (also on their complete build). I picked up a pair on wiggle but these turned out to be silver, not black, and I'm struggling to get hold of these elsewhere at a reasonable price. What considerations do I need to when pairing disc brakes with and levers. I understand that there is variation in pull ratios for different types of brakes and levers but unsure how to check for compatibility. Clearly Surly have managed to get disc brakes working with the RL520s.

I think the logic is that the RL520s are long pull, typically for V brakes, and the cable disc brakes require this long pull. So any V brake levers will suffice? Right?

Any suggestions on which kind of drop brakes can be paired with the MTN version of the BB7s? At this point, I can't opt for the road version of the BB7 as I already have a pair of the MTN version in hand.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I'd say you're right about the type of lever choice. Poking around the web brings up this from the Trek website:
Avid's BB7 MTN S Mechanical Disc Brake delivers with power, control, and a sleek black anodized finish that makes this brake look as fast as you feel. You'll love the simple cable pull system that's optimized for linear-pull levers.
(Direct pull being V brakes)

However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to a what to suggest as an alternative to the RL520. Cane Creek do some, in black, for a wallet bending forty five notes.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Thanks, I might stick with the silver, and spray them black if they look too out of place. I spotted those crane creeks for ~£35 on sigma's site.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks very much like my drop bar conversion on my MTB , i used the same brake levers with tektro discs and bar end shifters which is now my winter commuter.

I just used a black touch up paint pen fr cars to paint my brake levers on my claris equipped bike as they were scratched from an off and the paint was worn, did the job but i think spraying pre fit on the 520s might be a nicer job.
drop bar mtb.jpg

Top Bottom