Avid Juicy disc breaks can someone help ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milton

Not had disc breaks before and am very impressed with their stopping power on my Boardman Team Hibrid. However I have a suspicion mintenance could be a pain. The front set have recently developed an annoying squeak with each rotation. I can see that one pad is almost touching the rotor whilst there is clearence on the other. Is there any way of adjusting this gap? There doesn't seem to be any external adjusting screws. I have been on the Sram/Avid web site but there is no mention of this problem - any ideas anyone ??? Thank you

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Yes, it's very easy.

Apply the brake firmly and then loosen off and retighten the two allen screws that hold the caliper in alignment. (with the brake still on)
That will realign it and you'll be squeak free again :hello:

EDIT: Unless you've warped the disk of course but it sounds likea simple alignment issue.

OP
OP
M

Milton

Thanks for that, just tried it but didn't seem to work. I noticed as i retightened the screws the lever seems to move aswell is this expected? Perhaps I should take it
to my local expert. I knew I should have stuck to break blocks !
No the rotor seems completely flat and straight
Nick

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hmmm, I've never noticed the lever move, although I imagine it's because the piston moved.

Sorry I can't help further, that little tweak has solved all of the problems that my Avids have ever given me.

battered

Guru
Have you tried pulling the pads, cleaning everything, light smear of coppergrease ON THE NON FRICTION SURFACES ONLY and reassemblimg?

AlanW

Guru
Milton said:
Not had disc breaks before and am very impressed with their stopping power on my Boardman Team Hibrid. However I have a suspicion mintenance could be a pain. The front set have recently developed an annoying squeak with each rotation. I can see that one pad is almost touching the rotor whilst there is clearence on the other. Is there any way of adjusting this gap? There doesn't seem to be any external adjusting screws. I have been on the Sram/Avid web site but there is no mention of this problem - any ideas anyone ??? Thank you

Sadly its a common problem with these brakes. The wife's MTB suffers from the same problem, and the only way I have found to stop me from hearing it is buggering off up the road. ;)

Try what Panter suggests, but letting the wheel rotate a bit until you hear the squeal...then grip the brake lever.

Also, Pulling the lever hard, holding for 1 second, move wheel, repeat, move wheel, repeat, THEN grip the lever hard again and do up the allen bolts holding the caliper. Let go of the lever.

This should give the bushes holding the caliper bolts a chance to move and adjust themselves.

OP
OP
M

Milton

Thanks every one for the advice. Problem is now solved with the help of a local expert. I am almost too embarrassed to admit that on my first attempt I tried undoing the wrong screws and nearl lost the fluid !!! Break blocks are so much easier.
The squeak has now transformed itself to a once in every 15 revolutions squeak so try explaining that ! However I now know what to do next time and I'm pretty certain there will be a next time !
Nick

Glad you got it (almost) sorted...those Avid bleed kits can be a bit pricey, but I figure that they are an essential maintenance purchase considering the cost of a bleed at the lbs.
Once you have seen it done, it is pretty easy to maintain the disk brakes if you were previously used to normal brakes.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Glad you got it sorted :blush:

Sorry, I probably should've posted a picture showing the bolts you need to loosen, especially as the first time I did it I was undoing the wrong ones too and wondering why it wouldn't work... :blush:

Top Bottom