Avid Road BB5 Calipers - Replace With BB7s, or Something Else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did the same with my Tricross and although I think the BB7s are big and ugly I don't have any complaint. You just have to be sure to press the pads home until there's a positive click.

Nowadays there's more choice so I would look around for something a bit dinkier than the BB7s.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The dual caliper pistons on the trp spyres are awesome and have worked really well on my first 2 wet, wintery rides

Highly recommended by a big lad :smile:

Another vote for the TRP Spyres. I can't compare them to BB7s, but I replaced the BB5s on my new bike with Spyres a few weeks after purchase. I had no problem stopping with the BB5s, but they were a major faff to adjust on a regular basis. The Spyres are much, much easier to adjust, stay that way, and they look a whole lot better too, imho.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Another vote for the TRP Spyres. I can't compare them to BB7s, but I replaced the BB5s on my new bike with Spyres a few weeks after purchase. I had no problem stopping with the BB5s, but they were a major faff to adjust on a regular basis. The Spyres are much, much easier to adjust, stay that way, and they look a whole lot better too, imho.
Sounds good, I ordered Spyres too and will install them on Monday and let you all know.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I have just installed a pair of TRP Spyres, first test ride confirms that they are much more powerful than the BB5s, but the adjustment of the pads on both sides means that I have the setup just as I want it (minimal play). They have good feel and feathering too. I wont really know how they are until they are fully bedded in, but first impressions are great.

There's now way I would need anything more powerful (e.g. Hydraulic), for commuting and light touring.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have just installed a pair of TRP Spyres, first test ride confirms that they are much more powerful than the BB5s, but the adjustment of the pads on both sides means that I have the setup just as I want it (minimal play). They have good feel and feathering too. I wont really know how they are until they are fully bedded in, but first impressions are great.

There's now way I would need anything more powerful (e.g. Hydraulic), for commuting and light touring.
Glad you like them as they are a really good set of mechanicak discs indeed

Simontm

Veteran
I have Spyres as standard on the Diverge but twice now (the 2nd this morning), I have had complete brake failure. Now the bike's only 2 months old so if it's slack, how can I prevent it from happening again?

I have Spyres as standard on the Diverge but twice now (the 2nd this morning), I have had complete brake failure. Now the bike's only 2 months old so if it's slack, how can I prevent it from happening again?
Beyond 'the brakes did not stop me', what do you mean by 'complete brake failure', exactly? I mean, did they go from working fine to suddenly not working at all, or what?

Simontm

Veteran
Beyond 'the brakes did not stop me', what do you mean by 'complete brake failure', exactly? I mean, did they go from working fine to suddenly not working at all, or what?
Sorry. Started off fine and then completely slack about half an hour after this morning after around 7 miles. Pull the trigger, pads move but no brake action at all. Not used to discs as these are my first so unsure what my next step would be apart from back to the shop.

Sounds as if the cables have moved in the grip point on the caliper, perhaps due to not being quite tight enough. I think those bolts are supposed to be 7-8Nm (check that - I may be wrong!). Either that or the cables weren't snug at the brake lever end and have now become snug. Either way, re-tensioning the cable is the first thing to do if you've not done it already.

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
Sounds as if the cables have moved in the grip point on the caliper, perhaps due to not being quite tight enough. I think those bolts are supposed to be 7-8Nm (check that - I may be wrong!). Either that or the cables weren't snug at the brake lever end and have now become snug. Either way, re-tensioning the cable is the first thing to do if you've not done it already.

Ta! Got no pliers at work so gonna try me best at lunchtime!

Simontm

Veteran
So apparently the disc is bent but as it is the second time this has happened, it has confused them at Spesh.

Anyway, the bike's going in anyway at the weekend as the front brake is juddering still and not bedding in so they gonna take a proper look. New bikes, new problems :rolleyes:

Top Bottom