Avignon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm planning a jaunt to Avignon in June; I'll probably be basing myself there and bumbling about a bit.

I'm intending to take the Eurostar direct from St. Pancras on a Monday morning (prob. 18 June) but the direct return is not till the following Friday and is not due into St. Pancras till 11pm. I'd like to come back on the Thursday (actually, I'd like to not come back, but the kids might miss me ^_^).

I'm looking at either getting the TGV to Lille and joining a Eurostar service there, or going up to Calais and getting a ferry. Will I be able to put my bike on at Lille?

Also; it seems that I can't book a TGV at present, anyone know when I can start to book (12 weeks or so?).

Any recommendations of where to stay, rides etc would be welcome. I know there's a little bump not far away that is there to be explored.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Are you going twice:laugh::laugh: Enjoy

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm looking at either getting the TGV to Lille and joining a Eurostar service there, or going up to Calais and getting a ferry. Will I be able to put my bike on at Lille?
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes implies yes. http://seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm is more verbose but unofficial.

Also; it seems that I can't book a TGV at present, anyone know when I can start to book (12 weeks or so?).
loco2.com used to have a tool that emailed you when bookings opened. It's not obvious to me now (maybe you have to search for a journey first) and I think bookings open sooner than UK trains.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Where are you staying in Avignon?

Not sure yet, scoping it out... Any recommendations?

Edit: just looked back and saw you were at the Ibis, which presumably was clean and the beds were at least reasonable comfy; did you notice if there was anywhere to store a non-folder securely?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Ah, bollix. It seems you can't take non-folding bikes on direct Eurostar services to Avignon. They'll have it delivered door to door at extra cost, but that completely defeats the object for me as I wanted to do a bit of a ride as soon as I got there, mid-afternoon (plus, the company would probably deliver it just as I was about to leave).

So, my options are to buy a Brommie, hire something in Avignon, or go somewhere else. Gutted.

mjr

Hee hee... Twice round the town, then stop and fill me face... Sounds like a plan!

There's a bike shop which looks like it rents out road bikes for €25/day, with mixed reviews, I may give that a punt.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...90612&spn=1.958325,3.290405&z=10&source=embed ;) :evil:

If you feel really frisky, Velopop Versus Ventoux might be a nice sequel to Boris Versus Ventoux:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWCeAzkc2Q

Lee-M

I spent hour upon hour trying to find a way to get me and my unfolding bike to the south of France for a short tour this March . In the end Easyjet with a clear plastic bag seemed the best and cheapest way . Not to mention the quickest .

mjr

I spent hour upon hour trying to find a way to get me and my unfolding bike to the south of France for a short tour this March . In the end Easyjet with a clear plastic bag seemed the best and cheapest way . Not to mention the quickest .
Update us in March as to how it went, please!

I've taken mine on ferries and trains. When I've flown, I've hired there instead. I know people do it but I don't think I'd trust airport handlers with anything less than a hard shell box unless I really had to.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Re TGV tickets, it's three months ahead that sales open. trainline.eu is the easiest/best way to buy - they took over Captain Train, but (unusually) kept all the functionality of Captain Train - the app and website are superb.

Top Bottom