Avoidable aches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j_whyte

I've just come in from a reasonably long ride on my mtb and my neck is absolutely killing. Its an 18" frame and i'm 6ft2, so i've got my seatpost set to maximum height (it's a 350mm seatpost). When i ride my shoulders are in a sort of hunched position. Any ideas on what i could do to help alleviate this problem?

Possibly have more of a bend in the elbows, giving you more of a relaxed and rounded back, instead of being straight and tense.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
frame is too small for you if you ask me, the handle bars will be low and thats why your getting a stiff neck. you could look into getting a riser for your handle bars.

OP
OP
J

j_whyte

In the most comfortable position my arms are very straight/fully extended. I'll check out this riser contraption. ANy links? I can only find riser handlebars

Cockney Scot

I am 6ft and went for an 18.5 in frame, only thing was the height of the bars. Solution was a stem raiser, cost me 320 at Evans, took me about 15 mins to fit (took my time to get bars straight) I now have a very comfortable upright riding position , done 15 miles on 1st part of my ride yesterday without stopping. Overalkl 50 pain free miles yesterday and same on saturday. Also fitted Ergon GP1 grips and adjusted brake levers and gear shifts down to avoid strain on wrists, now have a very comfortable bike.
The other bike is a hibrid 21in frame which I was told when I got it was the right size for me, but have always found the reach from the saddle to the bars a bit of a strain, hence why the smaller frame this time.
Stem riser was very easy to fit.

Plax

Guru
I read that as a rough guide you should deduct 13-15 inches from your inside leg measurement to get the size of MTB frame you need. Mine worked out as 17" - 19" frame, so I went for an 18" frame and that fits me fine. Maybe your frame is too small for you? When you stand over the top tube there should be 1-2" clearance between the tube and your crotch.

OP
OP
J

j_whyte

I know my frame is a bit small for me but there isn't much i can do about that now. I'll look into the stem raiser;will it be dependent on the length of the fork stem?

OP
OP
J

j_whyte

I think it is a bit too small but short of getting a new frame i'm trying to find out what adjustments i can make

02GF74

Über Member
it is the top tube length that is more significant. I am 6 ft 1 and ride mtbs 17 in to 19 in.;

OP
OP
J

j_whyte

well from the start of the top tube from the bit where the fork steerer runs through to the middle of the seat tube the length measures 21.5 inches. I don't know the significance of that.

Top Bottom