Aw, bless the little kiddies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
That is, the little undergrads who are arranging the Christmas party. From an email they sent round yesterday:

"This years theme/dress code is 1940's Swing so
think Sinatra, Crosby, Rat Pack, Champagne, Marilyn Monroe, Fred & Ginger,
Audrey Hepburn and everything that defined the Era (there will be a prize
for the best costume). We'll have Swing Music, Christmas Cocktails and
every Christmas song you need to get you in the mood for the Christmas
season. "

Hmm. Sinatra (mainly 50's/60's?), Crosby (the same), Rat Pack (ditto), Champagne (huh?!), Marilyn Monroe (60's again), Fred & Ginger (20's/30's!),
Audrey Hepburn (50s/60s). Nice one. They've put up posters with pics of Sinatra (see above) and Indiana Jones (all set in the 30's).

My friend has a rather nice RAF uniform, and I'm trying to decide between a wartime frock (complete with legs painted in cocoa and the seam drawn up the back) and a set of overalls and a headscarf, as if I've just come off shift in a Munitions factory. We're going to go round poking all the young folk with our fingers and saying "Don't you know there's a war on?"

Although as my mate pointed out, at 18 or 19 most of them probably don't even have grandparents who remember WW2, whereas my Mum does, and my Dad fought in it...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Get this put on a T-shirt:
hshf_img_digon.jpg

Noodley

Get a loud siren, turn off the lights, ration the food, and remove them to far flung reaches of the countryside away from the cities (and start throwing beer bottles around to create a few injuries) to recreate that special 1940s Blitz feeling.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
Get this put on a T-shirt:
hshf_img_digon.jpg

Nice!

Yeah, I think they've all got a bit hung up on a cerain idea of the 40's, (which is apparently mainly the wrong idea), and forgotton about the war bit. I'll forgive them if they have some Glen Miller playing.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, fnaar, yes, I think a spiv would be a great addition....:sad:

I'd quite like to wear a frock, or at least a natty little suit, but it would mean getting/making one, and I'm worried about the effect of the cocktails on me. If I let slip I had painted my legs with cocoa, some wag would want to check by licking them...;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
and I'm worried about the effect of the cocktails on me.
If I let slip I had painted my legs with cocoa, some wag would want to check by licking them...:sad:
"Ooh, vicar, I've come over all unnecessary, I 'ave!"

Or they might offer a quick stir with a spoon behind the trestle tables ;)

Tetedelacourse

Go as the cockney bloke out of The Shamen and repeat the following line 300 times:

"Has anybody got any Veras? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaahvely"

you could just bomb the building... that might do the trick.

set off the siren first, give them a sporting chance to make it to shelter.

you have to be cruel to be kind

wafflycat

Arch said:
That is, the little undergrads who are arranging the Christmas party. From an email they sent round yesterday:

"This years theme/dress code is 1940's Swing so
think Sinatra, Crosby, Rat Pack, Champagne, Marilyn Monroe, Fred & Ginger,
Audrey Hepburn and everything that defined the Era (there will be a prize
for the best costume). We'll have Swing Music, Christmas Cocktails and
every Christmas song you need to get you in the mood for the Christmas
season. "

Are these the history undergrads, or do they have an excuse? :sad:

wafflycat

Arch said:
Although as my mate pointed out, at 18 or 19 most of them probably don't even have grandparents who remember WW2, whereas my Mum does, and my Dad fought in it...

Same here. My dad fought in WWII - got injured a few times too - and shellshocked. My maternal grandfather was killed in WWI (the ship he was in was torpedoed) and my paternal grandfather was gassed in the trenches during WWI.

Top Bottom