Awful Cramps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone advise,

I try to get our most weekends for a ride, I'm a casual rider on a Hybrid. I did a 28 mile ride which was the longest I've done so far, but at around mile 22 as I started an up hill section, I got the worst leg cramps ever, it was my inner thighs just above the knee, both legs. I got off the bike and could barely walk. I'd drunk around 500ml of water, eaten a banana and a cheese roll. Is it the hydration or my lack of fitness? im not the fittest at 18 stone, I'm using the bike for exercise. I'm wary of drinking too much for fear of getting caught short.

Any advice or tips?

Cheers

Jack

Citius

Most likely lack of fitness - or specifically, muscle over-use. Assuming your diet, hydration and position on the bike is normal, then over-use of unconditioned muscle is a good bet.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
At 18 stone you are putting an awful lot of strain on your leg muscles add to that you were tackling a hill with what would already be fairly fatigued legs.
You say you are careful of drinking to much for fear of getting caught short? You really can't afford to do that , you are a big guy at 18st, you will be sweating quite a lot so you need to drink to rehydrate your body, add to that you will also be losing a lot of your body salts when sweating, you will also need to replace the salt either with additional salt in your drinks or added to your snacks when you ride or you could look at the isotonic / energy gel you can purchase from the majority of cycle shops and sports stores.
edit; you can always nip behind a bush if you need to take a leak.

OP
OP
J

Jack Hammer

Thanks, I was thinking hydration and salts myself. Am I correct in thinking isotonic or energy drinks, by their nature, will be high in calories, though I have seen low cal isotonics.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Look for the low calorie versions, I would steer away from the run of mill energy drinks (red bull etc) they are absolutely loaded with sugar.
This page is worth a read, make your own isotonic drinks, http://fiveasidefootballcoach.com/sports-drink/
I was just thinking, you are a big bloke doing a good distance on that bike of yours, ideally you will need more than a cheese roll and a banana. You need to be looking at a high protein + slow release carbs as well as isotonic re hydration,
Do you eat prior to setting off on your ride, you need to be fueling your body ready for the ride with protein and carbohydrates.
Basically you need to feed your muscles and body the correct balance of nutrients to be able to sustain long periods of exercise without adversely affecting your legs / health, i have posted a link to a site that will give you a rough guide (muscle building site but the food advice is relevant) i used to practically live in the gym heavy weight lifting as well as running and cardio vascular training so i learnt that diet was all important when training. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/gain-mass/7-protein-packed-and-carb-rich-foods

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack Hammer

I do eat before I go, a couple of eggs on toast today. The cramps have not bothered me before, but my previous rides were 15 - 18 miles. Think I'll make my own drinks with cordial and add a pinch of salt.

Cheers

ayceejay

Guru
I was watching a guy this morning who must have been your weight and he was pedaling with his knees out because of his stomach, if this is what you are doing that would put a strain on the area in question. Try stretching and watch your riding posture.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Drink tonic water, it has quinine it it- good for cramps!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
And malaria...
..and gin :okay:

I don't add anything to my water, except for some squash now and again. Isotonic drinks at anything under about 50 miles are a waste of time IMO. I didn't bother with them in my marathon days even. They didn't change a thing. I don't have gels either xx( Jelly babies are much better.
Bananas and tomatos are high in potassium, which will help with cramps.

I would say to keep drinking, especially in the warmer weather as dehydration will cause you problems. I never worry about getting caught short. Lots of pubs, cafes etc and bushes if absolutely necessary.
As your fitness increases, your cramps will wander off and inflict themselves on other people.

howard2107

Don't over do it either, take frequent breaks, and when you stop give your leg muscles a bit of a massage to help recover and keep your circulation until your fitness improves. You will quickly work out what is good for you with eating and drinking. Personally i eat about an hour or so before i go out, and only take water, and i am ok for about 20 miles mixed on and off road, up hill and down dale. I am usually hungry when i get back, so its salted peanuts and a couple of real ales.

Cheers..........Howard

midlife

Guru
You have to be pretty depleted to get muscle cramps from lack of potassium etc. Are you on any medication for hypertension?

Shaun

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's fitness nothing else.

The amount of food and drink is plenty enough unless you had a raging thirst.
Take it easy, warm up and warm down gently.
As mentioned, the whole hydration thing is away overstated.

Top Bottom