Axle bearings made from broken glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just had my back wheel in to the LBS to be re-trued after a less than stellar service (at another LBS), and it was pointed out to me that the axle bearing were as rough as a badgers ar$e.

Spinning the wheel you can feel a definite "graunchiness" in the axle, and the wheel halts much sooner than it should.

The wheel is a Fulcrum 7, and I've only had it since last spring... admittedly it's probably done 2k miles through all weathers, carrying a fairly hefty load, even so, should it be performing like this?

Is it faulty? Is there anything I can do? or is it just a case of using it till it grinds to a halt and then buying another?

Did the LBS not offer to service it for you at the time?

RedBike

Any wheel can get muck in the bearings.

You can clean / regrease cup and cone bearings (The bearings are best replaced at the same time as they're farely cheap) but cartridge bearings have to be replaced.

02GF74

Über Member
It is fault in the sense that it is worn.

take it apart - usaully it is the cones on the axle that wear and you can replaced them together will new ball bearings.

if the rac on the hub is worn, then new hub time.

Tharg2007

Veteran
those have sealed bearings, just replace them. Mine are feeling a little notchy actually so if you find some let me know where and how much, cheers :eek:

Top Bottom