Aylesbury Bypass ride - Sat. 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've decided to run this one again, previously mentioned here. Basically it's a nice circular route almost all on quiet roads, skirting the edge of the Chilterns, through picturesque villages, and also around where the Midsommer Murders were filmed. There's also abandoned airfields and secret fallout bunkers - what more could you want?

Basically it goes all the way around Aylesbury. It's a nice 52 miles with some lovely rolling hills, although the last 15 miles are either flat or mainly downhill apart from 2 minor hills going up. So you shouldn't get too tired on the home leg.

Assuming it's nice & sunny there are some spectacular views of Aylesbury Vale, and there should be lots of soaring red kites.

The approximate route is here starting from Tring Station at 10 am. For any Londoners, trains take about 40 minutes from Euston. An early lunch will be at the Little Italy café in Haddenham.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
tempting - having lived at Woodham for six years and Waddesdon for 3, it would be a trip down memory lane. Although not all of the memories are good.....

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I know. :ohmy:

However, there is only about 800 metres of the A41 on this ride, so hopefully it shouldn't trigger any nasty flashbacks.

Apart from that, it's a nice and simple route. If you're lucky, we might get to see some steam trains at Quainton.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm pondering - but I can't remember what other plans we've got for the bank holiday weekend - and the climb up from Tring at the end might be a step too far at the moment. Is there parking at Tring?

I'll call you on the 15 miles of flatness, too. Both Wing and Mentmore are sharp little ridges - though admittedly sharper from the South.

clivedb

Guru
I might be on for this, but how fast are you all going to be and what time do you think you'll finish?
Clive

Madcyclist

I'm a possability for this one as I live in Aylesbury. I'm leading a 5-day charity ride next week for my employers covering 330 miles in 5 days. What time are you meeting at Tring station, if my legs are still upto it ?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Flying Dodo said:
We'll go at the speed of whoever is at the back!

In that case I'm a definite maybe - but there are too many variables to give you a definite definite until much later in the week. Can you PM me a mobile number so that I can let you know?

I'm also weighing up whether I think about stumping up £5.50 (!) for parking at the station or suggest picking up with you at Cholesbury. The latter has the advantage that I can bail midway if necessary, but since engineering works mean that if I do I'll still need to get home from Missenden that's less of an advantage than it might be.

Top Bottom