Aylesbury Bypass ride - Sat. 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've sent you a pm FD, am interested was just a little concerned re the 14.9mph average speed on the last ride. However I would like some advice as I'm looking at travel options. These are train there and back, cycle there and back, or train one leg cycle the other. It's about 42 miles door to door for me, so perfectly doable. I may want to save myself for the ride, so train there then ride home. It's the route I wanted to ask on:-

It takes me from Farnborough via/around Frimley, Bagshot, Ascot, Windsor, Slough, I'm fine up to here, not far from my commute and gets me just under half way.

The rest is Beaconsfiled, Amersham, Chesham and Tring - looking at the suggested route this means the A355 from Slough to Amersham, then the A416 but breaking off onto Vale Road just before Lye Green. Little flirtation with/around/over the A41 then into Tring.

As I tend to avoid busy A roads what are the A355 and A416 like? A355 particularly as it looks like about 12 miles of that?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Unpleasant! The A355 is pretty narrow, and NSL applies in all of the rural sections. By 9:30 or so on Saturday it will be beginning to get busy as la toute Bucks goes out for a jaunt. Amersham to Chesham on the A416 is fine - there's only about 0.75 miles of unlimited section, when you can freewheel down the hill.

Here's a suggestion. You need to walk over the river in Windsor, there's a short stretch of rough track in Winchmore Hill, and the final bit of the road up to Winchmore Hill is a narrow pothole-fest (but traffic is rare). Otherwise it's pretty good roads (insofar as Bucks roads are ever pretty good). Yes, it's further, but that's inescapable if you want to avoid primary routes.

I've taken you to Cholesbury. Why go further?!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks SRW, for some reason that link won't work for me, but have looked up Cholesbury and it would save me about 2 miles.

I was planning on arriving early enough to rest and refresh before ride, so about 0900. Is there anywhere around Tring/Cholesbury to get a breakfast etc?

I might just go for the A355, the first half of my ride involves quite a bit on the A325, A30 & A330, I'm ok on those so..........I can't imagine the A355 can be any worse than the A12/13 that Aperitif and co dragged me along the other week:biggrin: Looks like my desire/need for a Garmin is getting stronger.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Link now sorted. The point about stopping at Cholesbury is that the first thing Mr Dodo will have you do after leaving Tring is slog up a sharp hill... to Cholesbury!

Tring is a big enough town to have breakfast. Cholesbury isn't, but Chesham or Amersham are.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Thanks srw. Although your route looks good, I seem to remember Broad Lane is very steep. I'm certain I remember hitting 40 mph going the other way once, so the A355 may be easier in that respect!

There are a few cafe's in Tring dotted along the High Street, and there's also a large Tesco's just before the turn for the station.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Having looked at my crystal ball, I can confidently state that there won't be any freezing fog on Saturday. There is also a fairly good chance it'll be warm and we might see some sun.

Although I've PM'd Mac, as I've said earlier, no-one will get left behind. Last time Dan B & 6 of his fellow London Speed Skaters came along, and he and some of the others are fairly fast. The speed of some of those at the back was slower though, so don't worry about the average speed I did last time.

The route has been cunningly designed to be as idiot-proof as possible, so although there are some long straight stretches where you can zoom along ahead, we'll be stopping regularly to re-group. Also, because I get hungry quickly, I've deliberately planned it so we'll get to the lunch stop in Haddenham about 11.45 so it shouldn't be too busy at that time.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well my feminine charms don't work very well but as he's not previously met me he doesn't know that :biggrin:

Hope you have a good Bypass Ride. I think it's great there's a choice of CC ride - means there's lots of us riding in company!

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Auntie Helen said:
Well my feminine charms don't work very well but as he's not previously met me he doesn't know that :becool:

Hope you have a good Bypass Ride. I think it's great there's a choice of CC ride - means there's lots of us riding in company!

I reckon he spotted those pictures you posted not so long ago, of yourself in the shower. That's why he picked your ride. :tongue:

Have fun in Essex.

clivedb

Guru
Even better than FD's crystal ball, the BBC weather site is showing fine weather for Saturday. I expect to be there and will email you my mobile number.
Clive

Madcyclist

Apologies FD, I'll not be making tomorrows ride, the charity rides have taken their toll on my legs, 365 miles in 5 days, I'm just going for a short spin in the morning. I found it hard going setting a slow pace as most riders were non cyclists, 10.5 mph overall on a 66 fixed gear, not much chance to spin the pedals like I usually do. It was great fun though with over £5000 raised for the NSPCC.

I'll keep my eye out for future rides in the area.

Madcyclist

Top Bottom