B & Q Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

gary r said:
what does B & Q stand for ??? anyone know??

Block & Quayle

gbb

Legendary Member
Its often the small items they make huge profit on...
I wanted some blue carpet tacks a while ago. DIY shops were about £1 for a pack of 20 tacks ;).
But having dealt with trade counters for years, i just went to the local hardware outlet (trade really, but they'll often sell to the public), and got a box of 200 for less than £1.50 :ohmy:

That same 200 from B&Q etc would have cost £20 :ohmy::ohmy: Now thats profiteering.

dodgy

dellzeqq said:
did you know that, or did you have to look it up? I'm hoping it's the latter...

Course I didn't know it, I used Google just like anyone else could.
Might be useful for a pub quiz sometime so it's now filed with other useless information.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kestevan said:
Hardware shop in Holmfirth is brilliant.

Just like the shop in the 2 Ronnies "Fork Handles" sketch; complete with small bloke in a brown overall and 1000s of drawers, holding odd items.

Might be "slightly" more expensive than B+Q if buying in bulk, but then you cant buy 4 screws and 2 washers in a paper bag at B+Q

Stubbs here in York used to be like that, fantastic place. Then they moved to an industrial estate and went all trade counter, and the old building (still with big painted Stubbs advert on the brick gable) is a Loch Fyne restaurant.

Pextons on Bishophorpe Road is pretty good, just not as big. Stubbs was three floors!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I work in the timber industry and it pains me if I ever have to buy timber from B and Q or the like on the weekend.
I rec the mark-up on their wood, and it's crap quality too, is about 4 - 500%.

It ain't FSC or PEFC either the twisting beggers!

bonj2

screwfix have a counter with blokes behind it who go and get stuff out of the warehouse, which is probably fairly compact, not big enough for customers to push trolleys round.
B&Q have to have everything attractively arranged in nice wide aisles, this is what you pay for.

Top Bottom