B & Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Got to give praise to B&Q today.

Our repair man putting our shower room right .Got to the stage of hanging the doors .On looking at one of the doors .A very long scratch in the laminated glass .On the instructions sheet ,if this glass is damaged do not use as it shatters into tiny pieces .

12-50 i telephoned at 13-30 we were on our way back with a new door .

How about that ?

Well, big-chain DIY jobs are very much a story of hit-and-miss.

Plus side: We needed a new ball-valve for our header tank. Off (by bike) to the local DIY (not B&Q). Assuming it's a standard plumbing item, skimmed the plumbing section, no joy, so call over an assistant. "Here you are sir." Me: "Er, no, that's a toilet ball-valve, I need one of the bigger, high-pressure jobs, the sort that goes on a header tank, looks like this." "Er - don't think we stock those Sir." "Not much of a DIY store you are then" and out I stomp. Back home, get into car and off to nearest B&Q (Brighton). There, I do find the requisite item. Bully for B&Q.

Minus side: Mrs P. had reminded me that we also need a new curtain rail for one of the bedrooms. So I buy one of those as well, whilst at B&Q and with the car. But when I come to put it up I find it's of pretty poor quality and only just holds firm on the supplied plastic clips. But I put it up all the same, just hope no-one gives too hard a tug on the curtains...:biggrin: Pants to B&Q.

So you never know...

JUst don't buy a Mac Allister pressure washer from them if they still sell them. THere appears to be a design flaw in the feed tube to the shuttle valve in the handset, short version, the plastic splits and allows water to run out of the lance's plastic body, not really very good (and this is the second one I've had which has done it!).

Globalti

Legendary Member
B&Q has a policy of employing older people and they are the better shop for it. The staff are usually knowledgeable and experienced and know how to speak to a member of the public.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
postman said:

Our repair man putting our shower room right .Got to the stage of hanging the doors .On looking at one of the doors .A very long scratch in the laminated glass .On the instructions sheet ,if this glass is damaged do not use as it shatters into tiny pieces .

How about that ?

It's nothing less than what I'd expect any supplier/retailer to do under the circumstances.

Walked into the local B&Q the other day and this old bloke with a black shirt and orange apron asked me if I wanted decking, so I got the first punch in.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Globalti said:
B&Q has a policy of employing older people and they are the better shop for it. The staff are usually knowledgeable and experienced and know how to speak to a member of the public.
Not my experience (on either point) in the Leyton branch.

dodgy

Touche said:
Walked into the local B&Q the other day and this old bloke with a black shirt and orange apron asked me if I wanted decking, so I got the first punch in.

:tongue:

Greedo

Globalti said:

Those members of staff are few and far between, believe me. When I started my business and done as much of the graft as i could myself, some of the advice I got was absolutley shocking and sometimes on the verge of just out and out bullshit and on one occasion dangerous. I must have been in about 20 B&Q's and they are all the same. To be fair there are one or two I've spoken to that are ex trade guys and have a clue but the rest are just older and have no experience whatsoever.

My advice is to go during a weekday and head up to the tradecounter bit and ask someone there who is a customer as the advice will be better.

Maz

Guru
postman said:

How about that ?
Lesson learnt. Should've gone to Wickes.

Top Bottom