B*stard Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
the odds are the same as any other cancer i would think. depends at what stage it's caught, whether it's spread to the lymph glands and how strong the person is fighting it.

i know quite a few people who have pulled through cancer lately, so don't lose heart. my thoughts are with you. x

Noodley

Greedo, just saw this thread - hope it works out okay.

Remember to be yourself when you meet her but still acknowledge the circumstances...

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Noodley said:
Greedo, just saw this thread - hope it works out okay.

Remember to be yourself when you meet her but still acknowledge the circumstances...

I know mate, thanks. I actually just got a shock as she is just one of the kindest, funniest, friendliest, most thoughtful girls I know. She's not some goody two shoes though as i think you know I wouldn't get along with anyone like that but it was just a shock today. If I hadn't been at home alone farting about on here at the time I would never have posted about it. It just came as a shock and made sense in my head at the time to post on here rather than phoning someone who she maybe hadn't got round to telling yet as it's not my place too.

She's like me though and always see's the funny side of things. Always has a positive outlook. Is dogged as hell to achieve things whether that is targets at work, her sailing qualifications or learning new things. She will win this ugly horrible fight!!!!!! Nothing surer

jeltz

Veteran
Greedo,

I hope she comes through this well, she needs to stay positive and fight it. Don't worry about odds that's only statistics.

My brother in law had a grade 4 glioblastoma brain tumour removed last year and the doctors were really pessimistic about it, saying that there will have been some parts they couldn't remove which would act as seeds and it will grow back, basically saying its terminal and really all they can look at is treatment to prolong life but its only a few years at most.

None the less he's taken the attitude that he will beat it. He finished all the radio and chemo therapy well over 6 months ago and now the consultants are using phrases such as making significant improvements..... They aren't calling it remission yet but they do seem to acknowledge that its a possibility now.

Just like your friend he is one of the nicest, fairest, decent person that you could hope to meet.

She can beat this, all you can do is support her as and when she needs it.

Shaun

Founder
Good luck to your friend Greedo. Hope she gets it into remission, and stays around for a good innings. :becool:

Maz

Guru
Greedo - very sorry to hear this. Your friend needs to stay positive at this difficult time. I pray she makes a full and speedy recovery.

With cancer it's always good to be as informed as you can be. Each cancer is different, there are different treatments and prognoses. The Macmillan website is an excellent source of information - very thorough and in depth, to the point at which it can make very shocking and unpleasant reading. They also give good advice as to what to ask the medical staff (eg whether you can be part of a clinical trial for a treatment - that improves chances). Also charities which campaign around a particular cancer can be very informative. It's also worth talking to GPs who can put you in touch with cancer support services for friends and families as well as sufferers themselves. Local charities often offer free support and respite too. There is a lot out there and it is surprising how kind people are.

My auntie has pancreatic cancer and was diagnosed two and a half years ago. She's just been given the 'we can't do anything more for you and you've got 6 months left' so I understand how grim it all is.

madguern

Hi - Sorry to hear about your friend, I went through this 5 years ago when diagnosed with Cancer. The shock it the worst bit and through experience it i follow advice of other on here and do not google anything ! When I googled my brand of cancer I came to the conclusion that I may as well give up ! However my father in law pointed me to Macmillan and cancer research website and my oncologist told me stats are stats and the devil is in the detail. As a result I got through it and alive today with a much more positive attitude to love than I had before.

I hope your friend gets better soon.
Regards

Rob

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Good luck to your friend Greedo - my brother nearly died five years ago, at the age of forty one, with Hodgkin's lymphoma but he managed to pull through and is in complete remission now.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Mycroft said:
first up, I've had Leukaemia twice now

What kinds??

I had Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia when I was 16 and instantly became something of a curiosity for the doctors, as it is a type that Older people normally get.
On top of that I ended up at Yorkhill, which is the sick Children's hospital, so not only was I there sharing most of the ward (Shiehallion ward) with little kiddies, I had a pensioner's disease to boot!!
I was all back to front and front to back at the same time!

Given the population of Scotland, for my age, I quite literally was one in about 2 million.
Always like to be the odd one out me, none of these common cancers that anyone can get for me, oh no, I'm special you know!! ;):laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Greedo, if she looses her hair to Chemo, tell her that she probably wont have to shave her legs for quite a long time!! ;)

Heck, when I had it, I ended up with less hair than a new born baby, so I didn't have to shave for about 3 months!

Unfortunately you get terribly sweaty in all the wrong places due a lack of hair, but hey, swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

Oh, and DON'T take her fresh Orange Juice, chemo tends to cause mouth ulcers, so anything acidic is utter hell!!

Top Bottom