B*stard Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Just been reading the thread. I lost my friend last night to cancer of the oesophagus. I was with him in the hospital and still trying to take it all in, so can't really add much to what's already been said.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My sincerest of condolences to you, I have lost a few people I know over the years too so know what it's like.

Mycroft

Mad Doug Biker said:
What kinds??

I had Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia when I was 16 and instantly became something of a curiosity for the doctors, as it is a type that Older people normally get.
On top of that I ended up at Yorkhill, which is the sick Children's hospital, so not only was I there sharing most of the ward (Shiehallion ward) with little kiddies, I had a pensioner's disease to boot!!
I was all back to front and front to back at the same time!

Given the population of Scotland, for my age, I quite literally was one in about 2 million.
Always like to be the odd one out me, none of these common cancers that anyone can get for me, oh no, I'm special you know!! ;):laugh:

AML type 3

was what it WAS known as, they have changed the letters about.. don't ask me why :biggrin: same friggin illness xx(

shouldn't have came back when it did, first time round they said "2 or 3 more days and there would be no point in treating you" NICE! but it is one of the "quick to kill, ones, so..."

second time round *I* knew I was ill, they said i had a virus!! took a lot of persuading, but finally they gave me a BM biop. CONFIRMED.

they didn't tell me at the time, but they thought that was me finished{we're doomed captain}

I have weird platelets apparently, my blood still clots even when i have none left! apparently that and a cast iron liver are the only reasons I'm still here.

had the transplant in 2006, took a reaction to the chemo.. THAT was a bastard! but again with the rare! :biggrin:

whatever the technical details are, they tell me theres only me in all of europe, so theres no prediction possibilities based on other numbers (they don't want to count the other person that matches my illness and died!)

hence my belief that either you live, or either you die - so same odds as everyone else.

life is weird.

glad you came through it - we need the numbers :biggrin:

Mycroft

domd1979 said:
Just been reading the thread. I lost my friend last night to cancer of the oesophagus. I was with him in the hospital and still trying to take it all in, so can't really add much to what's already been said.

sorry to hear that, its tough to get hold of.

the suffering ends, as twee as that sounds (believe me its stuck in my throat more than once) but it is true.

classic33

Leg End Member
Testicular cancer was my problem.
Results came through on the first day of the holiday. Returned to keep the appointment, only to find that the surgeon wasn't willing to operate. Had fitted under general anaesthetic on a "simple" appendix operation 3 years previously.

Operation to remove it was finally done the day before the last total solar eclipse visible from this country. When the nurses started talking in quiet voices, after the operation, that got to me more than anything to that point.

Can't see me making medical history by having the same type again though.

Best of luck to her.

domd1979

Veteran
Mycroft said:
sorry to hear that, its tough to get hold of.

the suffering ends, as twee as that sounds (believe me its stuck in my throat more than once) but it is true.

Mad Doug Biker said:
My sincerest of condolences to you, I have lost a few people I know over the years too so know what it's like.

Thanks both, it is difficult to get hold of. I'm glad his suffering has ended because this past 18 months, and the last couple in particular, have been far from pleasant for him. I can't imagine what its like to still have your appetite and not physically able to eat properly, eventually to the point of not at all.

But... I know its not all depression and that people do come through the treatment.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Very sorry to hear your news Greedo. Ovarian cancer is known as the 'silent' cancer as there are usually no early symptoms. My best friend's mom was diagnosed 5 years ago and sadly lost her fight 2 years ago. However, the cancer was in later stages on diagnosis and if it is caught early enough, I understand that prognosis can be quite good.

My aunty is having a full masectomy on Wednesday. They offered her lumpectomy but she wants to go for the full removal of both breasts. She is very positive in her outlook and I believe this is very important to get through surgery/treatment etc.

Best wishes to your friend (fingers and everything else crossed).

Sorry about that Greedo. I hope you and your pal are all right eventually.

*Virtual Hugs*

TI

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Greedo- just read this.
Take it easy and just be there for your friend. It can be something as simple as just sitting with her or talking it through. Everyone is different and needs different things.

Take care mate and hope she gets through it.

ChrisKH

Guru
I had a lot of my innards removed in 2002 as a result of pre-cancerous changes taking place in the tissue that forms the large bowel - it would have developed eventually - that and I was on the verge of developing what's called a toxic megacolon. So out it come and I'm still here. I avoided cancer, sort of, even though I was on some powerful anti-cancer drugs for eight years because of their ability to suppress the immune system moreso than to treat cancer. I owe everything to my surgeon, who is a fabulous woman, triathlete, etc. My advice is to research everything from treatment to consultants/surgeons as it can mean the difference between being here and not. Yes, fate has a part to play, but sometimes, just sometimes, you can make your own luck. Best of manufactured luck to your friend Greedo. And also to yourself in dealing with this.

If I have one word of practical advice, it would be don't avoid her or avoid talking about it as it shows you care. I went for years thinking some people were heartless but it was just they didn't know what to say or do. Just say it and do it, she will understand and appreciate the gesture. You don't strike me as a person who would let her suffer this in silence. :sad:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Cheers for all the kind thoughts and wishes. Had a few texts from her husband yesterday and I don't think things are great tbh. Will see when I chat with her later in the week. Very sad. Such a nice couple and just married 3 years. Typical good guy though asking how I was doing, How Mrs Greedo was doing and how was business. Always the selfless ones eh!!!

Top Bottom