baby/child bike trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimpower_1

hello all I am new to this forum so bear with me

I own a double trailer (knowing we would have more children in the future) and used it with my 3 year old son strapped in the middle and he loved it and so did I now have a extra addition to the family and she’s now 9 months old and after pregnancy I am thinking of going back out on the bike with the trailer since my partner works ill need them with me. I am just wondering what the age children have to be to go in the trailer my son is 4 years old now and my daughter is 9 months old, would I need one of them baby seats in it? and wear would I get baby helmets from?
hope you can help because I really need to start getting fit again since pregnancy.

hear is the link so you no wich trailer it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRANICH-6650...2444764&sr=1-6

Kimberley :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I seem to remember reading that the child should be capable of supporting their own head well. If it were my baby, I'd put them in some sort of lightweight car seat, and strap that in the trailer.

With a trailer I wouldn't put helmets on either, as the whole trailer is already protecting them. I fee that a 9 month old will already be struggling with sufficient neck strength, that a bouncing trailer will overwhelm that even without the helmet. Your call and judgement though.

http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/article-child-trailer-safety.htm

Randochap

Senior hunter
Not sure what trailers are available in UK, but child should be capable of holding up head. There are "infant slings" available as an accessory.

Here in Canada, the Chariot line are head and shoulders, so to speak, above the rest.

Yes, looks like they are available in UK here.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Kimpower,

The guidelines state its basically up to you to gauge the babies development..... You would need to consider the terrain, at 9 months a ride along a promenade or smooth park path would be fok providing you dont have an 8 year old tearing off infront of you that you have to race to catch up.

Rando, those chariots look amazing! and more expensive than most bikes people will use to tow them! I am looking to get for my 2 year old as he gets mad when i go for bike rides with his older brother. But there is no way i am putting it on my new Allez Elite! so will have to get another bike to tow the bloody trailer!

and so it begins, excuses for more bikes!

From experience, I think the child needs to be sitting securely unaided. At least that's when I started using the trailer with my youngest.

When my oldest was a few months old, I strapped his car seat into the trailer using luggage straps and bungees and took him for a gentle short ride. He loved it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nothing wrong with putting it on your Allez Elite, though I would want to use a hitch like the Burley alternative hitch which is a QR replacement.

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

Bentmikey - she’s just grown out of her car seat ( she’s a big baby) she’s 10 months now and already in the bigger car seat that stays in the car. I might have a go putting the car seat in wouldn’t have a clue how to strap it in there though ill just have a look on the net.

Randochap - I looked at them infant slings and the seats and they all only go up to 9 months and Emily id a big baby so might not be able to go in them now.

Wigsie - Harry has his own bike but he goes really slow so he only gets to go out on that when we walk somewhere so lookely I got the double trailer so he can go in that with Emily. Good luck getting your new bike we have to hunt for one for my man soon before the summer so we can all go out together,

Ed_o_brain - yeah she sits brilliantly now she’s advised for her age I think she’s very strong and already climbing up the couch getting in to everything lol. I don’t have luggage straps or bungees but I think my parents in law to be might have the straps I think.

Thanks everyone

Top Bottom