Baby elephant alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Now that's just being silly. How the hell would I smuggle a giraffe out?

Does anyone want a penguin?:biggrin:

Pete

I've got a slug*.

Anyone willing to give it a good home, please call. No sensible offer refused. In actual fact...

*in fact I've got several. Quantity discounts available.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm going on Sunday!:smile:
I probably won't be taking orders though.:biggrin:
Photos are a strong possibility;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cunobelin said:
OK Folks let's get serious about this........

Here's our way in.....

Kellogs Competition

Woohoo! I'm off to buy some cereal....

I think we need to plan this a bit more. Once we get the various animals to Stevenage, we need a circus train standing by - you know, with all different shaped wagons for the different animals? Like extra tall for the giraffes and bars on the windows for the lions...

Anyone know the number of a rail leasing company with a circus train?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I feel I ought to mention at this point that I have a small car, not a fleet of lorries.
And no, my car isn't bigger on the inside, before anyone asks!;) Not big enough for giraffes, elephants, tigers, monkeys and god only knows what else besides. It's a lovely idea, and I feel rotten to disappoint you all, but I don't think it will work

I've definitely heard of people sneaking penguins out, though...

*digs pond*

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If I remember right, elephants have a history of being quite troublesome on trains. Sometime in the 19th century, an elephant needed to be moved from London to the new Belle Vue Zoological Gardens in Manchester. The initial plan to 'let the train take the strain' was abandoned after several railway wagons were demolished. Finally the only remaining option was for his new keeper to walk the animal to its new home. Imagine the consternation caused by having an elephant stroll along, being watched by people, most of whom would have had no idea such an animal even existed.

In those days, the main routes were all toll roads, and to prove that 'jobsworths' are not new in this country, one toll gate keeper refused to allow the elephant to pass as his schedule of charges only listed cows, sheep, goats, ducks and geese.

Apparently while 'negotiations' were still in progress, the elephant moved forward, flattened the gate and took off purposefully towards the north. The story of one animal's triumph over bureaucracy so appealed to the free spirited citizens of Manchester that the elephant was afforded a hero's welcome on arrival in the city and the council commissioned a large oil painting to commemorate the event, which still hangs in the city art gallery.

(Obviously this story in no way seeks to pass any judgment on the worth of 'Corporation Art' to the public good. I'm sure a well known resident of south Manchester will be along shortly to argue that if people want art they should buy their own).

Top Bottom