Bach or Mozart?

Which do you prefer to listen to, Bach or Mozart?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Uncle Mort said:
Which one?
Apols. :tongue: JS Bach.

I admit to a preference for JSB, somehow Mozart just leaves me a bit cold, try as I might I just don't warm to the Salzburg kid. Bach on the other hand I find fascinating, there's a driving hypnotic relentlessness and restrained energy in much of his work. JS Rocks in a way that WAM doesn't!

You ask me to choose between two brilliant composers without including any of the others who I also like to listen to. OK if I must then Mozart it is by a whisker:smile:.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yoyo said:
As an organist, it's JSB every time. Mozart wrote very little for the King of Instruments and his Fantasia in F minor for mechanical organ is a beast if your hands are small. My son's French horn teacher would not allow his pupils to play pieces by Mozart in audition situations but I have had to learn a few accompaniments to his horn concertos for my pupils. They are enjoyable but I'd rather play the large-scale Bach organ works.

FF, as an oboeist, which would you prefer? Bach's Chorale Prelude 'Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland' sounds fabulous as an oboe solo.

yoyo, you play the Organ, RESPECT!
I started this because today whilst killing time in Oxfam I bought a Naxos JSB Great Organ Works CD. Earlier this evening I cranked-up the stereo for Toc + Fug in D minor BWV 565. Magical seat-shaking stuff. I also like his Harpsichord Concertos.

My Sax teacher gave me a little piece of Mozart to learn this week as it's his favourite. I've not played the Oboe for a very long time, but funnily enough in the Oxfam shop I found a copy of the book I learnt from. My Sax playing has started to inspire me to dig it out again. Apart from reed differences they are very similar instruments to play. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Bach's Chorale Prelude 'Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland'.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bach for Sunday afternoons, Mozart for evenings. Both are brill but then again it ain't the blues.

yoyo

FF, I don't perform the Tocc in D - everyone else does!! Can sight-read the Toccata and get through most of the fugue. My favourite is the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C. Heard this in Dijon Cathedral in the summer and I dug it out and played it as soon as I got home. 'Nun Komm...' is a chorale prelude written for Advent - JSB wrote numerous chorale preludes on hymn tunes when he was organist in Leipzig. This particular one has a fantastic chorale that I have heard recorded for oboe which sounds beautiful.

I would love to learn the oboe; there's nothing it when it is well-played. I'm afraid I am less interested in sax but that is personal taste as I have a very poor feeling for jazz - got too stuck on Bach organ works!!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Bach for me, I think if he was all I had on a Desert Island it would be enough (although I do love Mozart's Requiem and Laudate Dominum and a few others).

I think the thing about Bach is that he wasn't writing his music for his human audience but as a spiritual offering. I understand that technically it's difficult to sing – he wanted to make the most beautiful music, however hard it may be. I defy any of you to listen to Agnus Dei from the Mass in B Minor sung by Andreas Scholl, or Erbarme Dich from St Matthew Passion (also sung by Scholl), and not be transported heavenwards.

mikeitup

Veteran
Wolfy baby for me!!!

I have fond memories of doing my paper round when I was a kid with Mozart playing on my walkman.
Great stuff!

Ole Johann int too bad either

Top Bottom